Fordham / Monmouth / Catholic / Rutgers - Field Placments and Alumane Networks

My daughter is trying to decide between MSW programs. She's been accepted to all programs and we're crunching the numbers. It's shocking that all the tuitions are pretty much the same between Fordham, Monmouth (NJ), and Catholic (DC). She's also been admitted to Rutgers but was turned off by the way she was treated on the telephone when she requested meeting with someone to go into more detail about their program and was told they don't do that. She has had very informative meetings at the other schools. Clearly, going into huge debt for a low paying job is a great concern. She has not heard back yet on the finanical aid from 2 schools. We realize field placements are key to positions after school. She just graduated from college and is going straight into the MSW program. As far as social work opportunities go, are NYC and DC more desireable locations than NJ? She can commute from home in NJ to go to Fordham and possibly live with an aunt in VA to attend Catholic. Both would require long commutes but would save money. She's already heard about one possible field placement from Fordham and is excited by it.

My husband is convinced that having a larger alumnae network is key. I'm not convinced that applies to a MSW degree.

Any advice or knowledge of these programs would be great. Haven't found anthing on Monmouth or Catholic University.

I'm not in social work, but I have several friends here at BC doing a dual degree MSW/MA (theology). It seems that most master's degrees do not fit into "connections" getting you a better job. There might be some truth to the school being better for a particular region, of course. Is there someway you can find out which schools have better rankings overall?

Also, one thing to keep in mind is just because a particular person was rude/short with you doesn't mean the school is terrible. I know it may seem contradictory to your daughter's gut feeling, but consider more important facets of the program: faculty, courses offered, internships/field placement for grads, ect. Also, one of the best ways to find out about a program is talking with current students. So if you can, get in contact with some of them (maybe on here even??).

Good luck.

I'm not in social work, but I have several friends here at BC doing a dual degree MSW/MA (theology). It seems that most master's degrees do not fit into "connections" getting you a better job. There might be some truth to the school being better for a particular region, of course. Is there someway you can find out which schools have better rankings overall?

Also, one thing to keep in mind is just because a particular person was rude/short with you doesn't mean the school is terrible. I know it may seem contradictory to your daughter's gut feeling, but consider more important facets of the program: faculty, courses offered, internships/field placement for grads, ect. Also, one of the best ways to find out about a program is talking with current students. So if you can, get in contact with some of them (maybe on here even??).

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply! I do agree talking to current students will help make the decision. After crunching the numbers based on tuition only, Rutgers is half with in state tuition than the most expensive one she applied to. Time for her to start working the phones with the finanicial aid offices!! It is difficult not to get caught up in the names but seeing the monthly payment based on tuition only for 10 years has finally put this in perspective for her!! Wish I knew where the better oppportunities for field placements are.