Prospective MPA student

soapy

I attended a Big 10 University from 2000 - 2004 and did not complete my degree. I was a Physiology major and was planning on going to pharmacy school. After working in a pharmacy for 3 years, a research lab for half a year, and now owning my own small business, I've decided to return to school to finish up my degree in Communications instead of Physiology (I've finally accepted the fact that sciences/math aren't my forte - GPA when I left school is just under a 3.0). I will be starting school again in the Spring of '09 and will be done in the Spring of 2010.

Upon completion of my degree, I am planning to pursue an MPA - Health Policy & Management and specializing in International Health at NYU - Wagner. I've always had an interest in health and health care and I'm able to speak several Asian languages fluently so I'd like to put my skills & interests to use.

I don't have much experience in the non-profit sector. Besides the work experience I've listed previously, I was an undergraduate research assistant in the school of social work in 2003 and I've also volunteered at a hospital and will be volunteering with the American Diabetes Association.

Any suggestions as to what I should be doing from now until I apply to strengthen my application?

Frankly, if I were you I wouldn't be focusing on strengthening my application but rather on confirming that an MPA (or similar policy-oriented MPH's) is the right fit for your interests. You rightly recognize that those degrees typically position people for the nonprofit sector, but how do you know that's what you want to do if you haven't had significant work experience? A graduate degree is a pretty expensive way to break into a new field, and isn't necessary for entry-level jobs in global health.

Depending on where you are going to school in the spring, I suggest you pour your energy into finding an internship with a nearby international health nonprofit organization, and/or landing a summer internship with an organization in Asia. Even if that might mean you need an extra term to graduate, I think it will significantly help your admissions chances AND enable you to make as informed a decision as possible before committing to more student loans.