How important is the GRE (Masters Programs)

ileigh

Hello everyone -

I'm currently in the process of preparing for the GRE (which I'm taking in a few weeks!). My scores have budged a bit, but not as much as I'd like. I was wondering how important you've all found the GRE to be in the context of your entire application for Masters in Education programs.

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone -

I'm currently in the process of preparing for the GRE (which I'm taking in a few weeks!). My scores have budged a bit, but not as much as I'd like. I was wondering how important you've all found the GRE to be in the context of your entire application for Masters in Education programs.

Thanks in advance!

I am taking the Graduate Records Exam this weekend - very excited. I think this may calm your nerves.. . According to the Harvard Graduate School of Education website:

The admission committee considers several different factors when making admission decisions, including your current/previous academic performance (e.g., GPA), statement of purpose, and letters of recommendation, in addition to your standardized test scores.

Your GRE test scores are one important part of your application, and you should allow sufficient time to submit your best possible scores. We review them closely, because we have found that to some degree, those with strong scores are best positioned to succeed in graduate study at HGSE.

If your GRE scores are significantly low (i.e., below 460 V, 580 Q, and 3.5 AW), your chances for admission will be greatly reduced. We have seen that the program can be quite challenging under these circumstances. In recent years, successful applicants with lower scores have presented compelling professional experience and provided evidence of demonstrated academic ability in other areas of the application.

Please note that your scores are not the sole determinant of your admissibility. This means that strong scores do not guarantee admission, while weak scores do not automatically disqualify you.

:)

*edit

I will definitely post an update on my GRE experience too!

Edited by Airwick

Thanks again for the responses!

I've now discovered that since I'm applying to teaching credential/MA programs, most do not require the GRE. The only schools (out of the ones I'm applying to) that require the GRE are Harvard, Stanford and Vanderbilt.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but below is an incomplete list of schools with teacher credential/MA programs that do not require the GRE:

1. Columbia Teachers College (Communication, Computing and Technology in Education, English Education)

2. UCLA

3. University of Oregon

4. University of Southern California MAT

5. Universityof Washington MAT

These are just schools I'm applying to, but I hope it helps someone!