Phone calls

t_ruth

I did a search but didn't find much...

I'm scheduled to talk w/a possible advisor next week. Anyone done this? Can you share? What should I expect?

I've read some of her recent work and will brush up right before our call, but am a bit nervous.

Thanks!

I just had a phone appointment with a potential advisor. I would suggest at first speaking breifly about your background and your research interests to help get the ball rolling. When I called my potential advisor, the first thing he said was, what can i do for you and do you have any questions? after a brief white out (i wasnt prepared for that opening line) I decided just to start out by telling him about my background and research interests, and what i kinds of questions/topics I was interested in researching in grad school. It turned out to be the right move, he was quite helpful afterwards and directed the conversation from there.

Calling a potential advisor and hearing the phone ring is the most nerve racking part! After the inital hello, it'll be much easier.

Hope that helps some.

Exactly what mims said. Ask about the ongoing research. Oftentimes the ongoing projects are not published. Mention why you're interested in this professor, what publication brought him/her to your attention. Ask if there is more work in that direction. Who else in the department is working on it. Ask how many graduate students he or she has and if a spot's available. You should also ask about the typical way that professor interacts with students. Your research interests may match perfectly, but if there is a real personality or management clash, you should be weary. The professor will most likely ask you questions as well. They will probably be about your background/past experience, why you want to work in the field and what's your focus, as you see it right now. Hope this helps.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for this advice...this has BY FAR been the most nerve-racking part of the process for me. I always feel like I'm about to throw up when the phone rings. :oops:

letsjustgo,

I had emailed profs at every school I was applying to, telling them who I was and what I was interested in working on and asking if they thought University X would be a good fit, as well as if they were taking on new students next year. I also expressed interest in talking with them further via email or phone. Everyone wrote back and a few also suggested times for phone calls.

I had no idea what to expect and still suspect that every prof is a little different, but I find the phone WAY more intimidating that in-person. On the first call, I had an experience simlar to mims where I picked up the phone and it was clear that this was my time to ask questions. But it worked out (I think).