Ph.D. Engineering (any) w/o Biology Coursework

Hi Everyone,

I am writing because I am applying to graduate school this coming fall. I am looking for honest feedback as to my position as a prospective Ph.D. student in Engineering. I am a mathematics major at a top 50 university with a 3.8 GPA overall (only two B+ in Complex Analysis and Probability) 790 Quant GRE (Math GRE not received), and a summer REU and UCLA in Applied and Computational Mathematics. However, I have only taken Mechanics and Electromagnetism and therefore I feel I am at a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to engineering graduate school. Despite having taken almost every mathematics course in the curriculum I am finding that I do not have many prerequisites for engineering programs. My research advisor feels I would be a qualified candidate for UCLA, UCSD, and USC applied math Ph.D. programs, but I am more interested in pursuing engineering. Does my coursework essentially impede acceptance into a decent Ph.D engineering program?

Look at the programs and see. Most engineering programs are quite up front with what they will require you to have/have taken before starting off.

That said, I find engineering programs are much less accepting of other undergraduate degrees than other areas... None of the ChemE programs I looked at would accept a Chem degree, even with a ton of overlapping coursework. Just check with the schools you're interested in.

I have to add something: ChemE is an exception. Many ChemE programs wont even taken MechE undergrads, even though that is the nearest neighbor discipline (IMHO).

For my field, Mechanical Engineering, I think you could apply to at least 90% of the top 20 schools in the country.

I think the engineering discipline you would be most attractive in is Electrical Engineering. They are the most mathematical of the engineering fields, and being a math undegrad would make you stand out very, very, favorably.

Look at the programs and see. Most engineering programs are quite up front with what they will require you to have/have taken before starting off.

That said, I find engineering programs are much less accepting of other undergraduate degrees than other areas... None of the ChemE programs I looked at would accept a Chem degree, even with a ton of overlapping coursework. Just check with the schools you're interested in.

Edited by mechengr2000

Engineering PhD programs also called doctorate programs prepare students for career in engineering education and research. Course work for an engineering doctorate generally includes quantitative research methods and highly specialized classes in the student's engineering specialty. In addition, students working toward a PhD in engineering can expect to complete a written dissertation based on original research. For more help you may check this link http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/dg-doctorate-programs-133.aspx