A convoluted GPA

ijann

I'm applying to city planning programs and I'm pretty confident about everything except I don't know how to deal with my GPA.

So, on paper I have 3.09 CGPA. I was pretty unimpressive in my first major and then really excelled in geography (3.5 in my geog major). I also paid my way through university and had one particularly stressful semester during third year where my dad lost his job and I worked outrageous hours while still taking five courses. I probably had the highest GPA that semester except I had an anxiety attack during one exam, walked out without telling an invigilator and failed the course after having an A in the course prior. I (I also went crazy and forgot another exam completely, but got to take a deferred exam for that one). I took the supplemental and received an A and the faculty dean is writing a letter explaining that there was a situation that may have affected my grade and this letter includes a revised CGPA (3.17). I still can't get the F taken off my transcript because "rules are rules."

Anyways, I'm not particularly ashamed of my transcript (should I? I went to a competitive well-ranked school and I don't know many people with a GPA higher than 3.5). I did well in everything that will matter in planning and my geography professors and employers who are writing letters adore me, so I'm confident on that front. I'm also a really good match for certain programs in terms of my specific interests and research experience. However, I don't know if parts of my GPA will speak for itself (letter from dean explaining F and the clear improvement in grades after the first two years). It seems like dissecting my GPA and whining about how I had to work through university will detract from the confidence of my statement. Will the letter from the dean suffice or do I need to include a sob story paragraph in my statement? How do I drop "I worked 20-30 hours a week for three years while taking a full course load" into a statement that's all about my research interests and future career goals?

It seems like dissecting my GPA and whining about how I had to work through university will detract from the confidence of my statement. Will the letter from the dean suffice or do I need to include a sob story paragraph in my statement? How do I drop "I worked 20-30 hours a week for three years while taking a full course load" into a statement that's all about my research interests and future career goals?

It would, which is why you aren't going to do it. Your GPA is not a bad GPA. And I bet if they calculate last two years or major GPA, it'll be another number. Schools look at all those different numbers. So don't worry about it since you have no control over it. If it's freaking you out, write to each school and ask if they'd like to see some sort of additional statement from someone with your GPA. No sob story. No dropping it into your statement.

The dean talking about it should be fine. Make sure that letter addresses your strengths and potential, rather than just the weakness.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a UGPA of 2.72 (B- at my school) and I worked 40 hours / week as an undergrad, double-majored and graduated on time. I have three F's, a D, and two C's on my record during two consecutive terms when I was diagnosed with some health problems that effects my digestive system (under control now). My grades other than those, are a smattering of A's and B's. I retook all the courses, but it doesn't replace those grades on my transcripts or in my GPA, so I'm stuck looking worse than I actually am.

I plan on attaching a separate explanation, highlighting my tenacity (I didn't have to take the extra classes to graduate, and I ended up tutoring one of the subjects I initially failed), and showing that my M.A. GPA (3.7) is a more of a reflection of my ability -- and that I worked full-time while balancing graduate studies as well.

Let the dean plead your case...it will come off a lot better. In the documents you compose, you should just be positive and explain how much you've grown and have been prepared for your future studies, but have a well thought-out statement prepared for when they ask you about the situation later. Best regards.