Job Dilemma

ZeeMore21

Hi,

So basically I applied for an internship last month that I assumed was a summer position (they were asking for graduate students or college seniors), and landed the first interview two weeks ago. During the first interview, the employer said that she would hope the intern would stay until the end of December...she never asked me how long I could work if I landed the job, so I never mentioned the fact that I would have to leave mid August. Today, the employer emailed me that she would like to invite me to a second interview this Wednesday. I'm kind of surprised because in the first interview, she said that they may not do a second one, so I was hoping that I would have heard from her about getting the position sooner.

I haven't replied to her email request today because I am unsure if I should even have a position that I would only be in for approximately a month and a half....I hate being in awkward situations, and having to write a two week notice the first week in August just seems daunting. The employer I interviewed with seems like a tough girl, so I can't even imagine how I would deal with confronting her about leaving. But, it would be very nice to make some money this summer, especially since I wouldn't get my first paycheck from my school until the end of September. It would be great to have some kind of cushion.

Anyway, it would be nice to have some advice about whether I should just turn down the interview. Or even if i did go to the second interview, would I have to mention that I do plan on leaving in August. It is likely that that I may be asked how long I can stay, so I'm wondering if I should just get out early and not waste my time.

Also, another thought is that I would feel guilty if I landed this job: for the employers to spend their time going through two interviews, finding an intern, and having the intern quit after a month and a half seems unfair.

That's a tough call, but I think you should tell them. If I were you, I'd reply to the email saying that you now know you will be starting a Ph.D. program so that your end date would be mid-August, while also saying you're still very much interested in the position. If they really like you, maybe they'll hire you through mid-August and someone else starting then or bring in two interns and split the hours between the two of you until you leave. Realistically, they'll probably go with another candidate, but I think being honest up front here is probably the best policy, especially if this internship is related to your field and a negative response from your potential boss might come back to haunt you.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, this internship has nothing to do with my field. The foundation deals with community development, which I do have experience in outside of school, but the internship has nothing to do with Literature. I would essentially be doing administrative work under two program officers in addition to some grant writing. I plan on teaching college level English, so I doubt that any universities I apply to in the future would be wanting a reference for a summer internship from 5-6 years ago that has no relation to my field or teaching. I also don't plan on working any summer positions during school. Also, given that I was leaving for a school, I don't think a short term job would look bad on my resume.

That's a tough call, but I think you should tell them. If I were you, I'd reply to the email saying that you now know you will be starting a Ph.D. program so that your end date would be mid-August, while also saying you're still very much interested in the position. If they really like you, maybe they'll hire you through mid-August and someone else starting then or bring in two interns and split the hours between the two of you until you leave. Realistically, they'll probably go with another candidate, but I think being honest up front here is probably the best policy, especially if this internship is related to your field and a negative response from your potential boss might come back to haunt you.

Edited by ZeeMore21

I don't know. I think I might take the internship anyway, and let them know shortly after you start that you'll have to leave in mid-August to go to the PhD program. You never know what they can arrange (I am doing a summer internship and I have to leave early, but my manager just asked me today if there's a possibility that I could do some ad hoc work during the academic year...and get paid), and even if there is nothing - plenty of people do summer jobs (or regular jobs) and move on in short work; the money will be very useful starting out, and the experience would be too.

• 2 weeks later...

If it were me, I'd be a nervous wreck the entire time I worked there, knowing I had to drop the bomb of leaving mid-August. I also think you should reply to her request for a second interview by saying you'd have to leave in August but are still very much interested if they can work something out.

It's really tough these days to pass up any lead for a job, I wouldn't be so quick to throw the "unethical" bomb around here because every employer will ultimately do what's best for them regardless of how it effects you, why should you be any different when it comes to employment? But I agree with the previous post about mentioning your mid-August end date in the email about your second interview, you left it out of the first one and got her interested enough in you so now it's time to mention it, if only for your own sake so you don't have to be worrying about it everyday you're working there. Personally, if you don't mention your end date and aren't specifically asked how long you can stay, I wouldn't judge you for taking the job, if you need the money and don't have any other prospects what can you do?