What constitutes as proof of ties?

Ok so yes I am freaking out about my being able to enter the US Hassle free- crossing by land will be driving up. As a Canadian citizen I know I do not need a visa but of course even if I had a visa it doesn't guarantee that CBP will let me enter. So I want to be prepared- at least as much as I can be.

On my I-20 what my school noted down that my means of support exceeds what they noted on the same form as the estimated student cost for the term. So to my understanding that ensures that I have proven my financial standing- correct? Can the I-20 act as proof of sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in U.S.? At this point I have no other financial documents- should I change that?

Second I am concerned about the following requirement: "Proof of ties/residence in country outside the U.S. which have no intentions of abandoning"

What constitutes proof of ties?

All my family (and friends) are in Canada. This is where I want to be. How though does one prove that? I don't own a house (I rented), don't own a car (sold it a few years back), I don't have a job (come on- I'm a student). What proof other than my word is there? My proposed dissertation is all about my city in Canada- but I don't think that proves anything.

Please put this crazy person at ease. I cannot believe my courses haven't started and I am this stressed out!

Hi there! I have my interview in a few days. I am not sure whether what I say is valid but here's what I think:

1. I often heard that once your funding is in place and the school you attend is reputable, the chances of crossing over stress-free are quite high. I am praying this actually is the case.

2. The fact that your family lives in Canada and you went to school and university there, should be more than enough to prove 'ties'. If you want to be 'super-safe', perhaps bring some kind of document proving that your family owns property in Canada.

I think that not everyone can actually prove such strong ties to their citizenship country as you. :) So, hopefully, you should be fine. Don't worry. rolleyes.gif

The very best!

Edited by Bukharan

I honestly was concerned about this question as well because it's hard to prove that you will definitely return to your home country after 5+ years - you may very well intend to, but how do you prove it? As it turns out, at the F-1 interview, they didn't ask anything at all related to my 'ties' to my home country. They mainly seemed interested in how I was going to cover the costs of my studies (at least the first year) and they also asked if I had any family in the States (I have a cousin who is studying). So once you have enough funding on your I-20, I think you'll be great (especially if you're going to a well known university).

If you absolutely want to make sure you can prove your 'ties', things like bank accounts, asset titles (land/car), family in your home country, and your permanent address in your home country can help to show ties, but as I said, from what I've seen they don't seem to be too concerned with this (as long as you have a permanent address in your home country, of course).

Hi there! I have my interview in a few days. I am not sure whether what I say is valid but here's what I think:

1. I often heard that once your funding is in place and the school you attend is reputable, the chances of crossing over stress-free are quite high. I am praying this actually is the case.

2. The fact that your family lives in Canada and you went to school and university there, should be more than enough to prove 'ties'. If you want to be 'super-safe', perhaps bring some kind of document proving that your family owns property in Canada.

I think that not everyone can actually prove such strong ties to their citizenship country as you. :) So, hopefully, you should be fine. Don't worry. rolleyes.gif

The very best!

Good luck at your interview Bukharan - I think you'll be perfectly fine!

Second I am concerned about the following requirement: "Proof of ties/residence in country outside the U.S. which have no intentions of abandoning"

What constitutes proof of ties?

All my family (and friends) are in Canada. This is where I want to be. How though does one prove that? I don't own a house (I rented), don't own a car (sold it a few years back), I don't have a job (come on- I'm a student). What proof other than my word is there? My proposed dissertation is all about my city in Canada- but I don't think that proves anything.

As long as you can show that you (or your assistanship, fellowship, etc.) can pay for your study, you'll be fine. As you said, your I-20 already shows that.

If they ask you "ties to your country", you don't have to PROVE anything (and how could you?) . Just tell them that your family is there, and that you plan to work there. That's enough.