Opinions about MA in Neuro vs RA

mi956

Hey guys,

I just graduated from a small NESCAC school with a few years of research (neuroscience) and counseling experience, and an honors thesis. My original plan was to apply for a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, but I am not sure whether I want to pursue graduate studies in psychology or in neuroscience. I did a double major, and I am really passionate about both pathology and neuroanatomy.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about where I should go from here. I was just accepted into BU's master's program in Neuroanatomy and Biology, and accepted a counseling job for the weekends. I am also applying for full-time research assistant positions.

My undergrad GPA is pretty low (3.35), and I would love to accept the MA program, but I have no funding and am guessing I would end up about $40k in debt.

Does anyone have anything to say about such a program, or any similar experience?

Or have any ideas for decreasing the debt (maybe accept for part-time)??

CONFUSED!

Thank you :)

Edited by mi956

In addition to people's opinions here, I would also ask the BU program coordinator to put you in touch with some current grad students, so you can email or talk on the phone with them. This has given me a great view into opinions, experience, what other people in their program go on doing, reputation, etc.

I'd also talk to some professors in the 2 fields, or perhaps some professors who have research that combines the two areas. They will have differing opinions on the "right" path, but it will at least give you some extra viewpoints.

I'd also go over your CV and research interests and think of where your weaknesses are, and where you are unsure about your interests. Would a counseling job, RA and a few night classes accomplish the same thing that a $40k program would? Are you trying to show you do graduate-level coursework AND figure out your research interests? Look through the program requirements- courses, professors, research opportunities- and put some time into thinking.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

I just graduated from a small NESCAC school with a few years of research (neuroscience) and counseling experience, and an honors thesis. My original plan was to apply for a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, but I am not sure whether I want to pursue graduate studies in psychology or in neuroscience. I did a double major, and I am really passionate about both pathology and neuroanatomy.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about where I should go from here. I was just accepted into BU's master's program in Neuroanatomy and Biology, and accepted a counseling job for the weekends. I am also applying for full-time research assistant positions.

My undergrad GPA is pretty low (3.35), and I would love to accept the MA program, but I have no funding and am guessing I would end up about $40k in debt.

Does anyone have anything to say about such a program, or any similar experience?

Or have any ideas for decreasing the debt (maybe accept for part-time)??

CONFUSED!

Thank you :)

I agree with LisaLisa

I can relate to the clinical vs. neuro decision because I struggled with the same decision myself. Basically, it comes down to what you are more passionate and could see yourself doing. I was looking at both clinical and neuro programs right up the application season time. I decided to pursue experimental programs because I really loved neuro research and I could see myself doing brain imaging research for a career instead of seeing patients. If you decide to do clinical, I would not do a masters or PhD program you have to pay for. The outlook of clinical psych is starting to look pretty bleak and a lot of debt is something you do not want with the uncertainty of finding a decent job.

If you can get a paying RA job, that is ideal. For neuro PhD admissions, research ability and experience trumps most everything else. Your GPA is a little low, but it isn't terrible by any means. In my neuro program, many people took a couple years off after undergrad and did an RA gig full time, but I don't think anyone got a masters. I think the main reason is that all programs will have at least a year of core courses to bring everyone up to speed with coursework, so it is much more critical to show research aptitude. Since you double-majored, I assume you have all the basic neurobiology and neuroanatomy you can be expected to get in undergraduate, so it isn't like you're lacking required courses or anything.

Doing well in a masters would boost your GPA, but two years of RA work in a good lab and an outstanding letter of rec might do even more for your chances. If the masters includes significant amounts of research and a thesis, it can give you the benefits of both, with the drawback obviously being the cost. $40k is a lot to make up, especially considering you'll be a grad student and postdoc for probably the next decade. If you do go into debt, make sure you avoid private lenders and go with federal loans (Grad PLUS). You can also likely audit courses for free if you work as an RA; although it won't affect your GPA, it will still look good.