Trauma Studies

So, I will be applying to PhD programs in the fall, and my area of interest is trauma studies. More specifically, I would like to do work with trauma studies in contemporary ethnic American literature. Therefore, I am looking to apply to programs that are strong in psychoanalysis and trauma studies. I have narrowed down my schools to 8, but it took a LOT of research since not that many schools emphasize trauma studies. So, I was hoping to list where I plan on applying in hopes that I could get some feedback about these programs and perhaps suggestions of other schools I may have overlooked. Here are the schools:

1. Buffalo

2. Emory

3. Brown

4. Stony Brook

5. Penn State

6. UMass Amherst

7. UC Riverside

8. U of Minnesota Twin Cities

Any feedback or suggestions would be really appreciated!

Edited by Timshel

So, I will be applying to PhD programs in the fall, and my area of interest is trauma studies. More specifically, I would like to do work with trauma studies in contemporary ethnic American literature. Therefore, I am looking to apply to programs that are strong in psychoanalysis and trauma studies. I have narrowed down my schools to 8, but it took a LOT of research since not that many schools emphasize trauma studies. So, I was hoping to list where I plan on applying in hopes that I could get some feedback about these programs and perhaps suggestions of other schools I may have overlooked. Here are the schools:

1. Buffalo

2. Emory

3. Brown

4. Stony Brook

5. Penn State

6. UMass Amherst

7. UC Riverside

8. U of Minnesota Twin Cities

Any feedback or suggestions would be really appreciated!

You may want to look at Boston College - they have a lot of people doing work with a psychoanalytic bent (not so sure of their resources for the ethnic literatures part of your interests, though) - I'm going there in the Fall, and my two main areas are psychoanalysis and ecocriticism. Also.... if you would consider schools in Canada, you should definitely look at Toronto (and maybe UBC as well). I know there are a few more places that I just can't think of right now... will get back to you!

When I was at Miami University of Ohio a few years ago, it seemed like every other faculty member was working on something connected to trauma studies. I would check out the faculty profiles of Madelyn Detloff, Tim Melley, Stefanie Dunning, and Yu-Fang Cho. You might also want to take a look at graduate course offerings from the past five years.

On 6/24/2011 at 4:05 PM, hopefulwoolfian said:

I don't remember if she does much ethnic American lit, but have you checked out Cathy Carruth at Cornell?

ohmy.gif Oh... that'll have been a big factor in my rejection from Emory, then. Whoops!

TO the OP:

Your list is a good one - I wanted to apply everywhere on that list but couldn't because of location issues specific to my situation. Two other places that looked good to me were ASU and WUSTL - so they may also fit your bill (and they may serve your other interests well also, I think).

After looking at some more programs, I am thinking of adding University of Oregon and WashU to that last. Anyone have any thoughts on those two places?