Not Enough Professors?

Hi! I've been a long time stalker of this site but this is my first post. I'm still in Undergrad, I plan on graduating this Fall (December...ish) and will begin applying for Fall 2012 programs shortly. No one in my family has gone to college let alone Graduate School, so I didn't know how much effort went into the application process until recently!!!

In terms of LoR, has anyone been in the situation before where you didn't have enough Professors? I've been to three schools because of financial reasons, but have finished 3 semesters at my most recent school and will finish my forth when I graduate. I have 2 LoR contacts ready (I will ask in August), but I don't have a third.

My first professor is my undergraduate research mentor, and I was the only student who spoke up in the small 5 person class, so I know she'll right me a really good one.

My second professor I only had once, but again I was the only student who spoke in the class, and occasionally we e-mail, so I feel he will be willing to write me a good one.

But besides that, I've never had a repeat Professor!!! There is one teacher who's class I did really well in, and we talked a bit when we went on a Yakuza tour through Tokyo one day with the class, but I've never e-mailed him outside of class, never talked to him outside of class, and I don't really know what to do!

I already know my GRE scores will be sub-par (guess who hasn't started studying yet but is taking them in August!!!), so I want my LoR to be really strong. :( Anyone have any similar stories?

• 2 weeks later...

My situation was similar in that I had been to a few schools before getting my BA. I got a letter from a professor with whom I only took one class, although it was probably the most important class, the senior seminar. We weren't close in any sense of the word, didn't cultivate any personal relationship whatsoever, but in class he let me know that he was impressed with my work and I got an A so I wasn't shy about asking him. At that time grad school wasn't on my radar screen. It was also 3 years after taking that class that I emailed him with the request. I was in the Peace Corps during that time getting the experience I needed to either get a job in my field or move on to grad school. But yeah, I was a little concerned about his willingness to do it for the reasons I stated above. But it turned out fine. He said he was happy to do it. I would suggest getting a hold of that Tokyo professor for your letter. You have the advantage of still being at the school so you can ask in person. I would email him first though and see if it's alright to stop by his office or whatever. Maybe you can go armed with a sample of your work from that class so you have something to refresh his memory of your abilities...maybe he won't even need it. If he seems like he's leaning toward not doing it for whatever reason, you could just be very honest about not having anyone else to go to...not in desperate sense, but just tell it like it is. If he just won't do it, you can always consider reaching out to a prof from one of your other schools. I had to get a letter for the Fall 2011 cycle from a professor at a community college that I graduated from 8 years ago because the only other option at my 4 year school said she didn't have time. Granted, I took 3 relevant classes with him and got A's, but I was also very quiet and probably didn't make much of an impression on a personal level...and it was 8 years ago! But after not having any other option I just laid it all out in a very honest email, I told him what I had done since and he genuinely wanted to help me out. So he was kind enough to do so. I imagine that what made it easy for him was the fact that everything I did since was relevant to the MA program I was applying for. I got an AA in International Studies from the CC, then continued and got a BA in the same field which allowed me to become a PC volunteer right after graduating. I needed the letter for an International Development Studies program...so from his point of view it all made sense, there probably wasn't any guess work as to my commitment or ability to perform well in the field. Not that it has to be as streamlined as my experience, but I guess the point is that, reaching out to past professors isn't as awkward or fruitless as you think it is. Some might not even respond, like I said, I got turned down from a prof I took 3 classes with because she was partially retired and couldn't do more than a few, but if she had said yes I wouldn't have gotten back in touch with one of the best teachers I ever had....Anyway, you really just have to get those emails out if you can't get anyone else from your current school. It turned out just fine, I got in. Asking early is the very best way to do it, I learned that the hard way. So August is a good idea.

I see you're from NJ, can I ask what school you're at? I am too...I got my BA from The College of NJ.

Edited by Mal83

Thank you for the reply ^_^ It made me so happy since (no offense) you had it much worse! I read on another post that you should ask (or at least give a heads up) in August, so I'm def. planning on doing that.

I am now asking my mentor, that one lone professor I mentioned who I was afraid to ask, and than I MIGHT ask that one Professor who I mentioned I have a semi-relationship with. He got fired.....haha. He had worked at the school for 24 years, but was fired this June (school claims personal reasons, he claims they got tired of his criticism against the current administration XD). I do not know how it will look to get a LoR from a fired professor, but I think this guy's passion, if anything, would spice up the Letter he writes me.

I am from New Jersey, but I only attended a CC here for one semester + summer courses. I attended the U. of Vermont until I was priced out, and now attend Temple University, Japan Campus planning on graduating this Fall. Nothing against the NJ educational system, but I didn't want to go to college with the same people from high school.

^_^ You've been oh so helpful.

(I edited your 'quote' so that it wouldn't take up so much space by randomally deleting words!)

My situation was similar in that I had been to a few schools before getting my BA. I got a letter from a professor with whom I only took one class, although it was more than a few, but if she had said yes I wouldn't have gotten back in touch with one of the best teachers I ever had....Anyway, you really just have to get those emails out if you can't get anyone else from your current school. It turned out just fine, I got in. Asking early is the very best way to do it, I learned that the hard way. So August is a good idea.

I see you're from NJ, can I ask what school you're at? I am too...I got my BA from The College of NJ.

Thank you for the reply ^_^ It made me so happy since (no offense) you had it much worse! I read on another post that you should ask (or at least give a heads up) in August, so I'm def. planning on doing that.

I am now asking my mentor, that one lone professor I mentioned who I was afraid to ask, and than I MIGHT ask that one Professor who I mentioned I have a semi-relationship with. He got fired.....haha. He had worked at the school for 24 years, but was fired this June (school claims personal reasons, he claims they got tired of his criticism against the current administration XD). I do not know how it will look to get a LoR from a fired professor, but I think this guy's passion, if anything, would spice up the Letter he writes me.

I am from New Jersey, but I only attended a CC here for one semester + summer courses. I attended the U. of Vermont until I was priced out, and now attend Temple University, Japan Campus planning on graduating this Fall. Nothing against the NJ educational system, but I didn't want to go to college with the same people from high school.

^_^ You've been oh so helpful.

(I edited your 'quote' so that it wouldn't take up so much space by randomally deleting words!)

That's Ok, I'm long winded. Yup, the more time you spend out of undergrad or school in any form, the harder it is to get letters, but many programs, especially professional degrees like mine require a few years of experience for admission, so you have to make it work some how. Oh trust me, I know what you mean about not wanting to continue your education with your high school class...but the advantage of going to one of the more competitive schools allowed me to completely escape them, I didn't understand how some of them even graduated. But NJ does have some fine colleges and universities.

That sucks that the guy was just fired...I don't know if they'd necessarily know that he's been fired. He'll probably have to say how long he's been at the school and give an end date since he's not there at the time you're asking him, but after 24 years I feel like they wouldn't assume that he got fired.

Anyway, good luck with everything!