Should I organize a visit?

I'm actually attending my top choice school as a non-degree seeing graduate student in order to strengthen my background, and I was wondering if I should actually arrange to visit with some of the faculty members who have interests that overlap with mine. I didn't do a visit the first time I applied, and I was thinking I probably should. Here's where I need some help: What exactly should I say/do? What sort of things should I be ready to discuss, what sort of questions should I ask? Also, when would be a good time to schedule a visit? I'm kind of socially awkward and shy, but I feel like I have a chance to really rock my application this time around if I do things right. Also, I want to get some better LOR and some research experience related to my interests, so should I ask if they have volunteer/independent research opportunities available?

Thanks!

I think you should definitely schedule to meet with some of these professors!! This is an opportunity you should not pass up.

If I were in your position, I would send these professors an email. Tell them that you are really interested in their work (maybe say specifically what aspect of their work) and that you are hoping to do a PhD in this field. Ask them if they have room in their group for another grad student and whether they have some time to sit and meet with you briefly. That should get your foot in the door.

Once you meet with them, go with the flow. They may end up doing most of the talking. Try to convey your enthusiasm. At this point you could ask them if you could work or volunteer under them, depending on how the conversation is going. In terms of the timing, the sooner the better, especially if you plan on working. You need enough time to actually gain some experience and earn them as a reference.