Good African American Studies Master's Programs???

DAC

Hi. Does anyone know of a good African American Studies Master's Program? I'm trying to find info online that rates master's programs and not doctoral programs. If you want to brag on your program or refer me to another site/resource, feel free to respond. Thanks!

There was a question about Af-Am studies last year: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13060. Something there may help?

Is there a particular reason why you want African-American studies rather than American studies, cultural studies, ethnic studies, or a traditional discipline?

One could argue that American Studies, cultural studies and the like are not "traditional" disciplines either.

There are a handful of AAS Master's programs in the U.S. The list includes Columbia, UCLA, U-Mass Amherst, Ohio State, Morgan State, Florida International University, Clark Atlanta, and Cornell.

Oh yes, my mistake, NYU is AFRICANA studies. But still a very good program.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh geez the traditional programs garbage.

Don't let other students who probably aren't even in fields like American Studies or Africana Studies/African American Studies scare you off. When they go into their history programs or english programs, they'll find out that they are encouraged to take classes in those departments.

They will also find out that there are respected academic journals, and some of the biggest minds in English and History are in those fields. I will tell you want a prominent professor in English/AS told me just a few weeks ago.

If you are willing to publish the papers and create a name for yourself in AS, be your focus on literature or history, you will find a faculty position in those areas.

You would be surprised how many of the major academic departments are drawing from AS but ESPECIALLY African American Studies. It's still true that in this case, the more prestigious the department, the better off you will be--but I really wish people would stop scaring applicants away from these disciplines.

NYU alone produced two academic stars from their cohort this past year who went on into major history departments.

So no, they didn't go on into the AS field to work right off, but they certainly went off to work.

anese said:
Oh geez the traditional programs garbage.

To what garbage are you referring? All I did was ask a question, primarily to see if the OP's interests might be met in a program not labeled "African-American Studies", particularly given the difficulty ze seems to be having in finding master's programs. As someone in an interdisciplinary degree program, I know what you're talking about. If people are employed in other departments that have an AAS background, why wouldn't I or anyone else encourage the OP to look at those departments/programs?