inquiring about funding

lilleopard

I am currently making a list of my top 20 grad schools to apply to - I am interested in MA,PhD English Programs or MFA Creative Writing Programs. Some schools have very poor websistes and are more than mysterious about their funding - often not even mentioning if assistantships, grants, etc are an option, let alone any details about them.

The potential financial aid package is a huge deciding factor on where I am going to apply, so I was wondering if it would be considered appropriate to contact the departments I am interested in even before applying and inquring about their funding opportunities? As always, discussions about money can easily be interpreted as rude or "focusing on the wrong thing" and I want to make sure I am not making a misguided move.

Your advice/experience is greatly appreciated!

I didn't do this when I had applied but I think it is probably a fine idea.

One caveat though: I noticed that the schools which were upfront in their promotional materials about funding were also the ones who on average gave more generous funding. Thus evasion may be tactical on the school's part. That being said, I find this tactic dodgy, especially in light of how costly applying for graduate school can be.

• 4 weeks later...