Chances - 2nd tier MPA/MPP

Hello all. First of all, congratulations for the forum, really good information here.

Im a international student from Brazil and will apply for internatonal relations / public administration Masters this year (Fall 2012 entrance). Target programs: Columbia SIPA - MIA, Jonh Hopkins SAIS - MA, Georgetown SFS, Yale IDE, KSG-MPA ID, Tufts Fletcher, WWS, Harris School.

Profile:

Economics Major in Top Brazilian University - Average Score: 7.1/10 (That would be top 25% of my class).

GRE: 770 Q, 500V, 4 AW (bad AW and Verbal, I know. English is not my first language, but I could have done better...)

Work Experience: 4 years as an financial analyst at a top american bank (based in Brazil). By the time of application, I'll be working for 3 months as an economic consultant focused on Brazilian government projects. By Fall 2012, I would have 1 year experience in this new job.

Academic requirenments: Advanced courses in micro/macro/statistics/econometrics/calculus (including multivariable)

Extra: Volunteer work in Brazil and US, lived in Canada for 6 months while in college, extension courses in US

Languages: Portuguese (native), English, Spanish, Italian (basics)

Rec Letters: Two strong letters from 2 ex-bosses, the third one should be from a professor (maybe not as strong)

Future Intention: work for IDB, WB, economic consulting (international development field)

Would like to hear your opinion on:

- How should the low Verbal and AW sections of GRE affect my overall chance of admission (my TOEFL score is 112/120)?

- Do you feel I have any chances to be admitted in these competitive programs? Any tips on other good (but not as competitive) programs matching my profile?

The responses will be very helpful not only for me but maybe to other international students.

Thank you very much!!

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I know only these top schools (listed in the beginning of my post). I am looking for other schools, that's a part of my second question. Regards

Instead of cracking jokes why not offer some advice. He/She already said they need advice for international students thus it is possible they don't know US university rankings! Jeez!!!

i didn't know HKS and WWS were 2nd tier schools lol.

Let me see if I can help my fellow international student. I think schools in the US are quite forgiving when it comes to the low verbal and AWA scores for international students. If this would help, I scored a 610 in my verbal, a 730 in Q and 3.5 for my AWA. I applied and got into some of the schools you are looking to apply to: WWS, Harris, Columbia SIPA - MIA program as well amongst other schools. If you have time, retake your GREs again because I will not tell you not to do it. It is surely up to you if you want to retake it. However, if you want to conserve your energy and just focus on your application, then make sure your SOP is ver solid and if possible flawless (grammar free, well structured and easy flowing) to convince the admissions department at these schools that you are a great candidate despite your low verbal scores. In addition, get really great recommendations too. Your background is unique: you are an international student, you have work experience in both private and public sector related arenas, you speak different languages even though some might be basic, you have core quantitative courses and you have travel experience as well. Your background is similar to mine in so many ways particularly in the areas of work experience, languages and travel experience plus I am international as well. You definitely have a shot. Don't let your low verbal score deter you from applying to these top schools. WWS offers a full scholarship and a generous living stipend if you get in, so apply there. I was told not to even bother with WWS with my score but can you imagine how much I will be kicking myself if I had not applied! There you go...apply to your dream schools above and also consider these as well: University of Michigan, Carnegie Mellon University, Syracuse University, New York University and London School of Economics (if you want a school in Europe). You can also check US News website. When you get there look for graduate school rankings and check for the Public Affairs category. This will give you a list of the top MPP/MPA schools in the US including their specialties. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I know only these top schools (listed in the beginning of my post). I am looking for other schools, that's a part of my second question. Regards

Edited by abogs78

Hi tomasltc,

I'm an international student from Brazil as well and I was admitted to SIPA, SAIS and Fletcher for the Fall '11. Ultimately I decided to go to Fletcher for several reasons, including financial aid, location and quantitative requisites. From the info you provided I can say you have great chances at these 3 schools (I didn't apply to WWS and wasn't accepted at HKS). Neither my GRE nor my TOEFL scores were impressive. Send me a direct message if you want to exchange more information. Regards