Overcoming a... less than stellar undergrad resume

I graduated in 2010 with a BS in Mathematics from UNC - Chapel Hill. As an undergrad I lacked maturity, discpline and any sense of direction and my grades reflected that - I finished with a 3.02 overall GPA with a 2.85 in math courses. Since then I've been working to support my significant other and I as she completes her MFA. Since entering the real world I've been giving my future a good bit of thought and I've come to the conclusion that I'd really like to enter grad school in math. Between being financially responsible for someone else and having a year to realize how much I miss my math studies, I think I've developed the discipline and motivation that I lacked as an undergrad. The problem, of course, is convincing an admissions committee to let me prove it, which brings me to main purpose.

What would be the best way to go about proving myself to an admissions committee? I mentioned my GPA and aside from some minor undergrad research (I wasn't published) I have no oustanding achievements to point to. My GRE scores are good; I scored 800/780 quantitative/verbal earlier this year, and I've been reviewing for most of the summer for the math subject GRE in the fall. I know I'll need to apply to master's programs rather than PhDs, but do I have a realistic chance of getting into a master's program at a place like UNC-Greensborough, for example? Or should I not even bother applying until I've taken some courses outside of a degree program and done well in them?

I feel for you, man. I was in a similar boat (only 3.0 gpa when applying to grad programs), and I didn't get in to any schools the first year I applied. Your general GRE is awesome (mine was nearly the same), but I don't think that will be enough to pique the adcoms' interest for very long. Make sure you train for the math subject GRE and try to get at least in the 80th percentile. (If you can get past 90%, you'll look even more desirable.)

The GREs are just icing on the cake, though, and won't address the fundamental problem that you've correctly isolated: namely, how do you demonstrate objectively that you have matured and have both the passion and the discipline to succeed in graduate school mathematics?

I don't have a hard-and-fast answer for you, but here is my speculation: the best thing to do would be take some graduate-level classes at your current university. You may feel a little uncomfortable doing this. You may have to pay out of pocket or take out a small loan. But it's the most direct thing I can think of to do.

If you're really not comfortable with this idea, then I have a few other ideas I could share. But I'd have to warn you, they are pure speculation--it would be good for you to get others' perspectives and advice on your situation.

Now, I didn't do this (taking grad classes on my own.) I'm not sure how I managed to get into a few decent programs, although I think my connections to those universities (professors and students I knew who study or studied there) probably played a large role.

Have courage; it looks daunting, but you can do it. Before you can convince an adcom that you deserve their acceptance, though, you have to make sure you convince yourself that you deserve it, and only you know deep down how you feel about that. The best way to convince yourself you deserve a second chance would be to make a promise/commitment to yourself and keep it--like the idea I mentioned of taking grad classes on your own. Good luck.

Thanks for posting! As daunting as the amount of work I'm going to have to do to achieve this is, sometimes the most difficult thing is making sure I believe it's actually within my grasp. To that end it's really nice to hear from someone who succeeded in a similar situation.

Regarding your advice: I had hoped to avoid paying for classes until I was actually in a degree program (supporting myself and a full time student means money is tight), but if that's what I need to do then so be it. At any rate, I'm open to any other suggestions you might have - I feel like I should be doing anything that might help my resume at all.

I have a couple of other questions for anyone who might know the answers or have suggestions. First, if I'm to enroll in courses, what are the most important ones in the eyes of an admissions committee? Also more specifically, while I know that doing well in a graduate level class looks infinitely better than undergrad level, I've noticed during my math subject GRE studying that I have no background in abstract/modern algebra. Would taking an undergrad level course in that be beneficial or should I stick with grad level courses?

And finally, is there any specific etiquette involved when contacting members of admissions committees at schools to which I might be interested in applying (or should I avoid it altogether)? I feel like they would know better than anyone how I could help myself, but I wouldn't want to hurt my chances at getting into their program farther down the line.

Edited by gentlemen

If you don't want to take on debt for more coursework, here's what I would recommend instead: in a word, lots of self-study. You need to totally absorb yourself in higher mathematics because, quite frankly, that's what you'll be doing in grad school. In other words, try to simulate the experience. If you can do so successfully (i.e. be happy and productive doing so), then that's a good sign that you'll enjoy "the life."

Now, what to study. You definitely need to have a solid foundation in the big two--Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra--because pretty much any department will require you to take quals in at least one of them, if not both. So if you've never taken Algebra (which honestly surprises me a little, since I know UNC is a strong program) then you might want to start there. I recommend Gallian's book for beginners.

Here's a further way you could direct your studies: obtain copies of past qualifying exams at schools you're interested in. Look at the types of questions, and--when you know enough--try taking some of them. I have no idea if this will impress adcoms, but right now the crucial thing you're trying to accomplish is developing a sense of mathematical confidence and self-worth, and I think that would be a great way to do so. I never did this, but, logically speaking, this would be the most direct way to convince yourself that you are worthy of a target PhD program. After all, the quals are the first major hoop to jump through...right?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the exact same boat. I emailed several committee members of the grad programs for Biostatistics/Statistics (I know you're mainly into math but the prerequisites are quite similar) of UPITT, UCLA, UC DAVIS, BU, UCHICAGO, U MINNESOTA, UW, UNC. They told me if I didn't have the completed major/degree, that the minimum would be 2 years of cal, linear algebra. Then real analysis with abstract algebra. As for GPA, which is my problem too, math was my childhood passion and I was reignited by that passion when I attended a Mathematics Forum (World Science Festival here in NYU), and an audience member asked a PH.D guest from London about regaining passion. I'm not sure who the PH.d was, but I'll look for it again, he said "Try to remember how you thought of things around you, how you looked at a problem. Did your mind analyze it with math terms, scientific reasons, and logic proofs? Is it the same now? And I do remember he said read Gallians' book! So, I hope this helps. I'm applying this coming fall for next year's programs. Cheers!