NSF GRFP and Fees

IRdreams

So I recieved the NSF GRFP this year. My school generally covers tuition, health insurance and a stipend. Reading through the NSF materials, it looked like the school is not supposed to charge you for benefits one generally receives through the schools normal package, which in my case would include health insurance. However, I just received a bill for student health insurance. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? Especially, someone from a school that generally covers the cost of health insurance through their normal funding plans.

I know the standard piece of advice is to contact the NSF coordinator at my school, however, I want to know what I am entitled to before beginning this conversation as the coordinator has the interests of the university first and foremost on their mind.

I'm in the same boat for NDSEG.

I would suggest calling NSF and asking them exactly what you asked above.

I know for NDSEG, the health insurance is maxed at $1000. (I havent called NDSEG about this yet). I know my school charges >$3000 for a year of health insurance, so I can predict what answer I am going to get. I'll probably stay on my parents plan for this reason.

Edited by mechengr2000