LCP or MSW?

abj08001

• 6 months later...

LCP = LMHC (licensed mental health counselor), yes?

I was debating the same thing for quite awhile. I was told by both my father ( a LICSW) and a social work professor that an MSW gives you more options. You can always do therapy/counseling with an MSW, but with an MHC degree, you can *only* do counseling. From what I understand, MSW's are more "professionally and academically respected" (though personally I think that's BS, the best therapist I ever saw, even better than PsyD, was an LMHC). Ultimately the translation there = more job opportunities, more opportunities for advancement in your career, and better pay - better, of course, being a relative term. I hardly think Social Workers are living the good life ;)

I originally was planning to apply to mostly MSW programs, and one mental health counseling program...I never ended up applying for the MHC one because I felt pulled more concretely to social work, but you might want to consider aapplying to both types of programs.

LCP = LMHC (licensed mental health counselor), yes?

I was debating the same thing for quite awhile. I was told by both my father ( a LICSW) and a social work professor that an MSW gives you more options. You can always do therapy/counseling with an MSW, but with an MHC degree, you can *only* do counseling. From what I understand, MSW's are more "professionally and academically respected" (though personally I think that's BS, the best therapist I ever saw, even better than PsyD, was an LMHC). Ultimately the translation there = more job opportunities, more opportunities for advancement in your career, and better pay - better, of course, being a relative term. I hardly think Social Workers are living the good life ;)

I originally was planning to apply to mostly MSW programs, and one mental health counseling program...I never ended up applying for the MHC one because I felt pulled more concretely to social work, but you might want to consider aapplying to both types of programs.

I chose the MSW path for much the same reasons. I figure that if my private practice doesn't work out, an MSW gives me more mobility. That said, a friend's roomate went to the Lesley LMHC program and loved it.

I chose the MSW path for much the same reasons. I figure that if my private practice doesn't work out, an MSW gives me more mobility. That said, a friend's roomate went to the Lesley LMHC program and loved it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I value that the MSW will give me more options and opportunities.