Another GRE question

Hi all,

I took the GRE and did pretty well initially, scoring an Q:730, V: 600. I decided to take the exam again and my overall score went down to 1250, Q:640, V:610. I'm now completely satisfied with my first score, but should I retake the exam again to compensate for the lower score? Do you know if schools just look at the highest scores and disregard others?

Thanks!

There should be no reason to take the exam for a 3rd time, unless it is a personal ambition of yours to try to improve your general score. From what I understand, many schools will combine the best of both exams. And even if they did not, by nature of them already having seen the first scores when you took it, those 730/600 stats will already be available for the admissions department to review, along with the second set. Basically, I believe that you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

However, If you are truly worried, you could contact each admissions department individually, and ask them this specific question.

Edited by Learn619

There should be no reason to take the exam for a 3rd time, unless it is a personal ambition of yours to try to improve your general score. From what I understand, many schools will combine the best of both exams. And even if they did not, by nature of them already having seen the first scores when you took it, those 730/600 stats will already be available for the admissions department to review, along with the second set. Basically, I believe that you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

However, If you are truly worried, you could contact each admissions department individually, and ask them this specific question.

Hi Learn, thanks for the response!

Don't take it again unless you have the time to do some substantial studying to improve you're score and this is reflected in your practice tests, otherwise it will just be in the same range.

This score is probably fine, just concentrate on the app.

Hi all,

I took the GRE and did pretty well initially, scoring an Q:730, V: 600. I decided to take the exam again and my overall score went down to 1250, Q:640, V:610. I'm now completely satisfied with my first score, but should I retake the exam again to compensate for the lower score? Do you know if schools just look at the highest scores and disregard others?

Thanks!

Personally, I think it would be a waste of time and money. What if you do worse or only a little better than your second score? I feel like the admissions committee would consider three attempts a little odd. Don't forget that your score report to the school will include all of your scores from the last 5 years on there. You have nothing to worry about with your first score. Even your lower score is very good. For professional degrees in this field the other components of your application are more important. Your SOP especially. Celebrate your great score and move on to the rest of the application.

Edited by Mal83