research or proffessional based ms?+careers for embedded systems

Niju Alex

i would like to go for a research based job after the ms...but i am not planning to do phd immediately (thought of doing it after having some work experience)...so which type of ms should i take?research based or proffessional...moreover, i havent seen ms being classified as research based or proffessional in the universities that i have searched (like the university of berkley).how can i be sure which type of ms i would be joining for in a particular university?

Also,can anyone tell me the different fields in embedded systems that are available for ms?...one of my friends,who work in embedded systems field said that there are different fields in embedded systems itself,like complete hardware system design,hardware/software codedesign and embedded software design.but he wasnt able to explain what are the different careers that are open for each of the field,as he himself joined the company one month back and is new to all these....i am interested in creating different electronic systems and enjoy learning different design topics (like microprocessors,digital system design,computer architecture &organization etc.), but dont like topics such as VLSI etc.

I would highly appreciate it if someone helped me out of this plight because i am trying to apply for the fall of 2012 and have to start searching the universities as soon as possible.:)

i would like to go for a research based job after the ms...but i am not planning to do phd immediately (thought of doing it after having some work experience)...so which type of ms should i take?research based or proffessional...moreover, i havent seen ms being classified as research based or proffessional in the universities that i have searched (like the university of berkley).how can i be sure which type of ms i would be joining for in a particular university?

Also,can anyone tell me the different fields in embedded systems that are available for ms?...one of my friends,who work in embedded systems field said that there are different fields in embedded systems itself,like complete hardware system design,hardware/software codedesign and embedded software design.but he wasnt able to explain what are the different careers that are open for each of the field,as he himself joined the company one month back and is new to all these....i am interested in creating different electronic systems and enjoy learning different design topics (like microprocessors,digital system design,computer architecture &organization etc.), but dont like topics such as VLSI etc.

I would highly appreciate it if someone helped me out of this plight because i am trying to apply for the fall of 2012 and have to start searching the universities as soon as possible.:)

A research MS is a MS that you do a thesis for, a professional masters is a non-thesis MS or a MENG(Master of Engineering). If you have absolutely any intentions at all to do a PhD, do it now. We only get older not younger, so if the motivation is there now, might as well go for it. Otherwise once you start working and gaining a salary who actually wants to turn their salary down just to get their PhD living like a poor college student again.

If you still just want to do a MS and have any intention at all to do a PhD, you want to do a MS with thesis, this would also be impressive to your manager at the research company you'd want to work for. I've searched at nearly every school, and almost every school has the thesis or non-thesis option, you'd want to do the thesis in which UC berekely has this option.

thanx for clearing my view about the research and proffessional based ms...since i am interested in doing phd sometime later i mite as well do it nw. :) although i think it mite be more costlier,isnt it?

the only doubt left to be cleared is about the different fields in embedded systems...

thanx for clearing my view about the research and proffessional based ms...since i am interested in doing phd sometime later i mite as well do it nw. :) although i think it mite be more costlier,isnt it?

the only doubt left to be cleared is about the different fields in embedded systems...

In the United States, MOST Ph.D students are fully funded, for a MS their rarely funded. So it will actually cost you less in the short term.

Also, in the US, you'll have to get a PhD in Electrical/Computer Engineering with a concentration or specialization in Embedded Systems. Getting any more specific than that and it will most likely come up to your PhD adviser to guide you better, however course wise in a concentration in embedded systems will be slim.

In the United States, MOST Ph.D students are fully funded, for a MS their rarely funded. So it will actually cost you less in the short term.

Also, in the US, you'll have to get a PhD in Electrical/Computer Engineering with a concentration or specialization in Embedded Systems. Getting any more specific than that and it will most likely come up to your PhD adviser to guide you better, however course wise in a concentration in embedded systems will be slim.

oh,k.i thought that we had to chose the specific course field for the MS studies...when i went through the site of university of berkley i saw the MS/PhD degree,which can be 5-7 yrs long.but i am confused about what will happen if i chose that degree and after doing the MS fail to pass the test before joining the PhD.does anyone know how it works?