NSF Political Science Research at Risk

Congress is debating cutting NSF funding for the Social Sciences completely. If you think Economics, Sociology, Political Science, Psychology and a host of other fields provide meaningful knowledge please take a few moments to contact your representative. Since we're all political scientists or future political scientists, hopefully this includes you. This link provides an easy form.

https://www.capwiz.com/fabbs/issues/alert/?alertid=51170521

Well, I'm not American, so I can't help out, but I certainly support the aim. I'm not too familiar with the system, though: is there not a separate federal funding agency for the Social Sciences? Up here, there's NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council) and SSHRC (Social Sciences and Humanities...). In general, I think separating the two is a good thing, so if the aim is to divorce the Social Sciences from the NSF and into its own agency, I'd be for it. However, knowing who controls the House and where this idea of defunding social sciences likely comes from, I doubt that's the case.

No, there isn't a separate agency. There is one for the sciences (broadly construed), humanities and the arts. As well as health. This is strictly about defunding, not about creating a social science directorate, which would be nice.

If NSF is getting a big cut across the board then it's hard for me to really argue. If social sciences are being targeted while others remain safe, however, then I'm very much for this effort (if you recall the idiotic comments of that senator a couple of years ago arguing for NSF social science cuts, with his argument essentially being, "Why do we need political scientists to study electoral behavior when CNN has those fancy election maps?).

If NSF is getting a big cut across the board then it's hard for me to really argue. If social sciences are being targeted while others remain safe, however, then I'm very much for this effort (if you recall the idiotic comments of that senator a couple of years ago arguing for NSF social science cuts, with his argument essentially being, "Why do we need political scientists to study electoral behavior when CNN has those fancy election maps?).

They are specifically trying to get rid of, not just cut from the Social Sciences.

Looks like the NSF bill passed the House. I don't see anything about cuts to SBE, though that may come in the Senate (especially as it's Sen. Tom Coburn who seems to be the main opponent of the SBE directorate's existence).