PHD MCB PROGRAM CHANCES??

ivyworm

I am looking at applying to a PhD program in Cellular and Molecular Biology. The Schools I am looking at are: Stanford, Yale, Chicago, Michigan, Vanderbilt, Emory, Maryland, WashU and UConn. What are my chances of getting into any of these programs? Here are my stats:

Degree: BS in Biology, University of Miami

CUM GPA: 3.68

GRE: Will be taking August 20.

I did research in a Chemistry lab for 1.5 years (very minimally related to Biology, but research nonetheless). I am currently doing an NIH funded Post-Baccalaureate Research Education program at the University of Kansas in Developmental Neurobiology. I started the program in last month and will continue in my research until I begin graduate school next year. As part of the program I will be taking 6 credits in the fall and spring of graduate level courses in Biology. I will also be required to do 30 hours of research each week, though I have been doing more because I have been having so much fun in the lab. In college, I taught Inorganic Chemistry labs for two semesters, was a Biology and Chemistry workshop leader, a Biology Peer Advisor, and I volunteered at the local childrens hospital. I worked part time as a sales associate in the mall. I was also on the executive board (research coordinator) of the BBB Biology Honor society and a member of several other honor societies. I have attended several national research conferences but do not have any publications. I have written what I believe to be an incredible SOP and have requested a recommendation letter from my PI in Chemistry. I plan to ask for a recommendation letter from my current PI and will be getting yet another recommendation letter from a college professor who is well respected in the sciences and organizes many minority outreach programs in science. Also, I am a hispanic minority (if that helps) lol. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF GETTING INTO THE PRESTIGIOUS PROGRAMS I LISTED ABOVE, PENDING THE RESULTS OF MY GRE???? HELP, BE HONEST PLEASE!!

Of course it's always hard to guess someone's chances (not that that stops folks from asking!). GRE scores probably can't get you into a program, but poor scores could keep you out. Shoot for a minimum of 1100 combined; 1200 would be better. Make sure you have glowing letters. A good SOP will go a long way.

Also, I can assure you that your research in chemistry most certainly DOES count. Combined with your current neuro research, I'd say your research experience is fine, probably more than a majority of applicants. A paper would be nice, but plenty of applicants don't have one. Your GPA is very solid (presumably you took plenty of upper division science courses). Your extracurric activities aren't worth that much, but they do prove you like to keep active. (Though the teaching experience could be a big plus, depending on the program.)

Overall: If I were betting money, I'd bet that you get in somewhere. Of the schools you mentioned, you're probably a plausible admit at all of them. Some are more competitive (Mich, Stanford, Yale, WashU), the other a little less. Other schools you might consider are: Baylor, Alabama-Birmingham, Rochester, Oregon Health Sciences, Texas-Southwestern, Iowa, Colorado-Denver, Case Western. I got that list on the following criteria: all have NIH training grants for cell bio (NIH doesn't fund subpar programs), all got upwards of $150 million total NIH funding in 2010 (lots of funding opportunities), and tend to have less "buzz" about them here and on other message boards (suggesting they might be less competitive).

Thank you so much for your help!! I did take a lot of upper division science courses (I was a chemistry minor). So i'm hoping my rigorous curriculum will show that I have lots of science background. I am definitely shooting for a 1300 on the GRE and both glowing LOR's and an outstanding SOP. It was very comforting to know that my research in Chemistry does count. I've been worried that it won't count as much research experience. I know that the some of the schools I am interested in are reach schools, and the truth is, I am okay if I do not get into Stanford or Yale. But I would love to get into Michigan, Emory, WashU and Vanderbilt...I'm keeping my fingers crossed and staying hopeful. I have also added Baylor and Alabama-Birmingham to my list...Again, thank you!!