No Check Until November

Mrs. Grad

At the suggestion of the graduate school, my husband and I moved to our new location early. They suggested no later than August 1st, but we settled in the second week of July

He'd been casually told that the first stipend checks are distributed in August or September. To our surprise, he received a letter yesterday notifying the students in the program that they should expect their first check on November 1st. In the same email, it is reiterated that students should move to town no later than August 1st in order to ensure housing.

Is this out of the ordinary? We'd put enough aside (about $5000) to last us through September, but I'm concerned that I won't find a job as quickly as I'd hoped and that we'll be in hot water come October. I would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Is your husband's institution on the quarter system, or the semester system?

My institution runs on quarters, so my first check doesn't usually come until sometime in early (or even mid) October—but it's farily understandable, given that the fall quarter doesn't usually start until the last week of September.

At the suggestion of the graduate school, my husband and I moved to our new location early. They suggested no later than August 1st, but we settled in the second week of July

He'd been casually told that the first stipend checks are distributed in August or September. To our surprise, he received a letter yesterday notifying the students in the program that they should expect their first check on November 1st. In the same email, it is reiterated that students should move to town no later than August 1st in order to ensure housing.

Is this out of the ordinary? We'd put enough aside (about $5000) to last us through September, but I'm concerned that I won't find a job as quickly as I'd hoped and that we'll be in hot water come October. I would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

Oooh.. that is hard. Well, since it is a departmental policy I don't really think you can do much about it. He could try talking to them to give him a check a little earlier but i don't think they'll budge. Must be having some sort of fiscal disruption or something. Eitherways u guys have saved up like 5000 bucks. u should be able to survive till the first stipend check. Sure you have moved to a new place and everything but given your situation you could just put off buying all the necessary but not urgent stuff like furniture and decorative items and entertainment for a while (or substitute them with cheap stuff from craigslist if required) and i'm quite sure you'll be able to sail through the storm.

The largest chunk of your savings will of course go for the rent deposit. So plan accordingly and i'm quite sure you guys can manage till midway through october atleast. Keep a creditcard handy for emergencies and don't spend on frivolous things and you'll be fine.

Is your husband's institution on the quarter system, or the semester system?

My institution runs on quarters, so my first check doesn't usually come until sometime in early (or even mid) October—but it's farily understandable, given that the fall quarter doesn't usually start until the last week of September.

His program starts on September 16th and UC Davis is on the quarter system. We'd expected the checks to be distributed monthly or biweekly, but we were surprised to learn that they will be going out in two lump sums of $13,000.

Edited by Mrs. Grad

sounds to me like cash-flow problems. you'll get the money, but it will be late. i suppose you might ask your department if they can help with some kind of short-term loan if things get really tight.

His program starts on September 16th and UC Davis is on the quarter system. We'd expected the checks to be distributed monthly or biweekly, but we were surprised to learn that they will be going out in two lump sums of $13,000.

My school, on the quarter system, pays fellowships in late Sept and TA/RA stipends in early Nov. So I think the stranger part is that they want you to arrive in Aug- I'll be moving to the area in early Sept (they recommend arriving by mid Sept). Do they actually need your husband to do any work before mid Sept? if not, even a lousy short term job in retail or something like that can help until either/both of you can get a real paycheck. I'm not moving to my grad school's area until I have to, so I can get free room and board (from my parents) and continue working, so I'll have plenty of money to last until late Sept when I move. But I guess it's too late for you to do something like that...