How important is the GRE for a history PhD?

aspiringhistorian

I've heard conflicting opinions on the importance of the exam for admissions in the field. Some people say that it's irrelevant because the committees feel that the GRE isn't truly an indicator especially now that the formating is changing, whereas others say it's critical. I know that it's weight lies somewhere in the middle, but I was just looking for more input... I'm taking it in six days and am looking for a little perspective, I suppose!

I've heard conflicting opinions on the importance of the exam for admissions in the field. Some people say that it's irrelevant because the committees feel that the GRE isn't truly an indicator especially now that the formating is changing, whereas others say it's critical. I know that it's weight lies somewhere in the middle, but I was just looking for more input... I'm taking it in six days and am looking for a little perspective, I suppose!

It really depends on the department. Different departments will weigh it differently, the best thing to do is ask each department you're applying to about what they view as the most important pieces of your application.

However, as a general rule I would say that the GRE is mostly just a formality UNLESS your other assets are lacking. If you just have mediocre LORs, statement of purpose, writing sample, etc., an awesome GRE score MIGHT prove helpful. But if you've got great everything else and just mediocre or even kinda cruddy GRE scores, then your GRE isn't really gonna matter all that much.

And the math part NEVER matters from what I gather.

I'd put its importance like that: 'It can't get you into your dream school but it can keep you out'.

I don't think it matters much after the 'screening' process. Unless it's a public school and it plays some role in funding applications. But... yeah, schools and departments are different. E-mail your school.

I would agree. GREs are used by some schools as the first way to narrow down the pool. It's easy for a place like Princeton to throw out any apps with GRE-V scores under 550 (I am just arbitrarily picking that school and score). However, I was in contact with a PA at a state school in the Midwest I was considering applying to and when I told him my combined score was 1220 (660V), he "worried" out loud that it wouldn't be high enough to get me the full University Fellowship. Meanwhile, I did get a full University Fellowship from a much more prominent private school.

State schools rely more on numbers like "Average GRE score of admitted students" to a) improve their reputations in relation to the private schools who don't sweat over those numbers as much and B) pander to their state legislatures to either keep their current funding or minimize funding cuts. It is my suspicion this is the case even more at big, well-known state schools with national reputations who are under assault by their state legislatures' missions to make sure the taxpayers' money is used wisely (i.e., OSU, UW-M, etc...). That is just an assumption on my part however.

Best of luck to you!

I took the GRE yesterday and am also wondering about its value in the admissions process. I've heard it's crucial to do well on it if you're hoping for funding (and really, who isn't?!), but figures minimally in terms of your application overall.

Now I have to decide whether to re-take it after my 670Q, 730V. It'll probably depend on my AWA score. ::sigh::

Best of luck to you!

I took the GRE yesterday and am also wondering about its value in the admissions process. I've heard it's crucial to do well on it if you're hoping for funding (and really, who isn't?!), but figures minimally in terms of your application overall.

Now I have to decide whether to re-take it after my 670Q, 730V. It'll probably depend on my AWA score. ::sigh::

It may not even be crucial then. Again, I suppose it's all about the institutions you're applying to and what they view as important. I will be attending a state school that is giving me a full tuition waiver, two masters degrees in two years, and paying for me to study in Europe for a year -- all with a combined score of just over 1,000. My statement of purpose and writing samples were polished to perfection, I have a fair bit of "history experience" having attended and presented at a few conferences, and have a fair bit of language training. I'm not trying to brag here but rather, to demonstrate that even IF your GRE scores are sub-par it still might not matter. It's something you gotta do and you should definitely work hard on, but I believe that if everything else is looking great yuo shouldn't worry too much over the scores :).

Edited by Derfasciti

Best of luck to you!

Unless your writing score is, like, 2, you will be fine with these scores. Your energy (and money) is better spent polishing your writing sample rather than studying for the GRE at this point. Good job, and good luck!

I had a mediocre combined score of under 1100, so I'm planning to take the new GRE at the end of August. Even with my strong GPA, conference presentations and publications, I'm just too embarrassed to apply anywhere with those numbers. I think it's certainly low enough to keep me out from many top programs, so I don't want to take any chances.

From what I've heard from my professors, GRE scores are most important when it comes to qualifying for university-wide fellowships--not admissions. For instance, to qualify for four to five year funding at UCSB, two of your three score percentiles have to exceed 180.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so it's getting closer to application season and I am starting to fret about taking the GRE again. I took it a few years ago and I got really lousy scores: 590 V 540 Q 4.5 AW. However, in the meantime I got a Master's in a field totally unrelated to History (International Development. Don't ask.). Should I bother re-taking the test? I'm leaning towards doing it but it's gonna be a pain...............

I did the GRE last autumn, putting in a couple of applications to absolute dream US schools whilst mainly focusing on doing an MA here (in England - at King's College London as it turns out). US applications didn't pan out and once I have my MA, extra language skills and some research assistant work under my belt I intend to try again for a US PhD programme for autumn 2013 entry. Hearing the GRE was aptitude based, I went in with little preparation - I got 760Q and 780V, which I was told I should be happy with, but when the written portion came back I came in the 66th percentile (don't have the precise score to hand - 4.5?). I was pretty disappointed, but I have no idea what to take from this. Texas say they don't look at the writing score, but how do other schools view it? Obviously I have time to do it all again but I'd be concerned that I wouldn't score nearly as well on the other bits. Any advice?

Of all the sections of the GRE, the writing score is the least valued almost universally. This is because they will have several samples of your writing (the academic writing sample, SOP, and personal statement if there is one) and can judge for themselves whether you can write logically and analytically. Now, I'm not sure if the dismissal of the GRE writing score will excuse really bad scores. If someone got a 2 or 3 that would seem to me to be a red flag, but don't take my word for that.

do you know who evaluates the analytical writing section? masters students that get paid a couple bucks per exam. they don't spend more than 2 or 3 minutes, literally, on each essay. don't worry about the AWA at all. you're submitting an SOP and a writing sample. that will tell adcoms what your writing is actually like. i promise they won't give a rat's ass about the AWA.

Thanks for the advice. As a foreigner I am a little unsure about how the process works but an American friend who has an almost pathological fear of the gre (she is going to law school to avoid it) wound me right up about the whole thing. Thanks for setting me straight