Changing fields/"chances" type question

lexicon83

Hi everyone,

First, I just want to say I love the community and support on this forum. I've read a lot of old posts and you guys seem knowledgeable and friendly, so I thought I'd toss a few questions out and see if I could get some help :)

Here is my background info

• BA in women's studies and psychology from Emory
  • Used anthropological methods in my honors thesis (done through WS-- it was a very interdisciplinary project)
  • Currently working as a RA in a psychiatry lab doing qualitative research on mental health organizations.
  • Publications: One article submitted for publication from the qualitative date in my psych lab. One article from thesis research accepted to a cultural studies type anthology. Presentation at a cultural studies conference.
  • GPA: ~3.8
  • GRE: 1350 total: 710 verbal 640 quant (ouch), haven't got my writing scores yet
  • Research interest: Mental health and illness, childhood, gender, social theory, United States
  • Possible programs: Basically anywhere with psychological/psychiatric anthropology-- UCSD, UCLA, UCI, UCB, Michigan, UChicago (Human Development). Emory has a program as well but since I did my undergrad there I'm not sure it's worth it to apply.
  • No anthropology courses in undergrad. I will be taking Intro to Cultural, Intro to Physical, and Intro to Medical Anthropology at a community college during the Fall 2011 semester but won't have my grades until after most application deadlines.
    With that out of the way, here are my questions:
    • Is it ridiculous to apply to programs before having completed any anthro coursework? I've done a lot of self study (during my thesis, for my job, and for funsies) and can probably show that in my SOP but I'm nervous.
    • Should I retake the GRE? 640 quant seems low. I would be taking the new GRE though, so I'm not sure how that would affect my verbal score. I'm really torn on this one :\
    • Is it worth it to apply to Emory even though I did my undergrad there?
    • Overall, what do you think my chances are? (Yes, I know this is a moderately ridiculous question and I will take all answers with a grain of salt. I'm just interested in people's general impressions.) What could I do to improve?Thanks in advance everyone! I feel a bit lost because I don't know any profs from undergrad who can advice me about anthro so I would really appreciate any feedback.

• Is it ridiculous to apply to programs before having completed any anthro coursework? I've done a lot of self study (during my thesis, for my job, and for funsies) and can probably show that in my SOP but I'm nervous.

Not ridiculous at all. I only took one traditional anthropology course before being accepted into my Ph.D. program.

Moreover, I think your background sounds fantastic. I wouldn't try to turn yourself into a "traditional" candidate (if there's a such thing in anthro!). It sounds like you'll bring a lot to a department and I have a feeling that will be exciting for people.

• Should I retake the GRE? 640 quant seems low. I would be taking the new GRE though, so I'm not sure how that would affect my verbal score. I'm really torn on this one :\

I vote no. Then again, I'm in the camp of "GRE can't get you in, but can keep you out." Your score will keep you out.

• Is it worth it to apply to Emory even though I did my undergrad there?

I guess I'll repeat myself in a moment, but, yes, it is worth it if the fit is right.

• Overall, what do you think my chances are? (Yes, I know this is a moderately ridiculous question and I will take all answers with a grain of salt. I'm just interested in people's general impressions.) What could I do to improve?

Pretty solid package. But it is hard to say at this point. What you must do now is identify professors that are willing to supervise. Contact those professors and discuss your project.

• 1 month later...

i didnt have a background in anthro and i'm in the phd program i wanted to be in. i got in on the first try. the trick to get into any program when you have any or no background is speaking the field's language and relating yourself to the particular program at any particular school.

• 1 month later...