Just Did Bad on GRE

process chemist

So, I prepared for seven months for the GRE. I took it today, and lets say... the results were not what I was hoping for. 610V/580Q. So...should I just think about applying to schools (PhD) or should I register for the new GRE. I don't care where I go, I just want to go to school, and a damn test is keeping me out. This is senior year of high school all over again. This happened to me on the ACT. I took it four times before I scored a 23. I hate this dame thing, I can normalize the wave equation, but I can't solve remainders?

Don't feel defeated because of this exam. If you have the free time, I would suggest spending a solid 2 or 3 weeks studying for the exam, and retake the new test. If you are Chemistry, what are your other credentials? Strong research experience can make up for a low GRE score, though it may stop you from making initial cuts at some schools.

I feel your pain. I took mine on Tuesday and did even worse than you. Some people, especially me, just don't test well. If I were to take a practice test right now, I'd ace it without wincing. Stick me in an exam room, and I'm about as incompetent as a newborn baby.

A former instructor of mine gave me some very useful information today, and I hope it helps you too: "What do you think you can or will do differently?" The bad score could have happened as a result of any number of factors, but if it's because you generally don't test well, you may not want to risk taking the test again only to get another low score.

You should also remember that GRE scores are only one aspect of the grad application. I'm not sure what you're planning on going into, but many programs place more weight on the personal statement and writing sample. Plus, you can still redeem yourself somewhat on the more important GRE component (if required): the subject test.

Also, don't sell yourelf short by giving indifference to a grad school. It is incredibly important that you find a school that specializes in your interest. In fact, many schools will deny applicants whose interests do not match those of the department faculty. It's a tough, tough world out there.

I feel for you. I did terrible on the test a few weeks ago, so i am studying up and I am going to take it again, this time the new version.

me too!

Actually I wasn't surprised when I saw my score on the screen on test day as I practiced on ETS powerprep few days before the test and I got nearly the same score.

My area is indeed chemistry. I guess I was thrown off by seeing quant first instead of verbal. My overall profile is an undergrad GPA of 3.2 and seven years of research (3 years academic, 4 industrial). I want to go into organic chemistry or cancer biology, specifically drug delivery of chemotheraphy targets.