Triple Major, trying to write an SOP for Art History

NaturallyAesthetic

Hello!

I am about to begin my senior year as an undergraduate and am currently attempting to assemble application materials for art history grad programs.

I'm pursuing a triple degree in studio art, art history, and environmental science, and despite the fact that I have completed focused independent research in each of these fields and have a very clear idea of how these disciplines coalesce in my mind, I am having trouble articulating my academic goals in SOP format.

The best I've come up with so far as a general thesis for my SOP is:

"I view art history as the study of the physicality of human existence. As such, my research and my art seeks to communicate a tangible and intelligible connection between environmental specificity and human society while simultaneously shaping that society."

My research interests are primarily 19th and 20th Century as well as Contemporary American Art with a concentration in urban planning and design, including material culture. My secondary interest (and what I have done the most research in!) is West African art, and the aesthetic influence of Western urban planning and material culture on developing West African nations from a social perspective.

Other things really important to me and that I have a lot of experience in outside of the classroom: teaching, environmental and social activism, theater, music, digital database management, and professional experience as a photographer and painter.

How can I best play up my interdisciplinary background? Is this something to be played up!?! I'm afraid of constructing a long and rambling narrative about all of my interests...

If anyone has any advice on how to write an effective SOP either in general or specifically for art history, your input would be much appreciated!

Additionally, if anyone reads this and thinks something akin to "Oh wow! Suchandsuch University has a GREAT program/GREAT faculty work in those areas!" PLEASE let me know! My top choice schools have extremely competitive programs (Yale, Harvard, Columbia) and it would be wonderful to have some more realistic options.

Many thanks, and best of luck in your endeavors!

(This is also posted in the Interdisciplinary forum!)

Edited by NaturallyAesthetic

What might help you is to write a full SOP detailing everything you are interested in, what you like about it, and what knowledge and specialty you have in each area, and how all that makes you a candidate for any program. It doesn't matter have many pages it is, or what you are really talking about (like, if you are only concentrating on photography or environmentalism) and don't necessarily try to make it intelligible to others, somewhat like. "I like seafood, but sometimes seafood is gross! Cornflowers are a good substitute! But when you mix that seafood and cornflower, something beautiful happens. Etc." After you do that, you will have on your plate a clear picture of what you have to offer.

After that, look through the professors you are interested in at the universities you are considering. Once reviewing them, take another gander at your SOP and figure out which pieces and parts will fit with each program. Highlight the areas that will make you the STRONGEST candidate for that program and for that adviser. If there are some side things that don't necessarily fit but can work in the subject matter (like, if you are REALLY interested in environmentalism but the school you are applying to doesn't have a professor who knows anything about it but there is someone who does study earthwork, then it may be worthwhile to appeal to the lowest common denominator - "My general area of focus is land-based art, and I'd like to expand upon that subject by studying how these pieces affect the environment in which they are placed."

Basically, if you apply to a school that is a big deal with 19-20th century art, but this school doesn't have any focus on West African tradition, skip the West African - it may hurt your application.

When applying, I would make sure that not only is your SOP focused and is relevant to the school, but that you make sure that your CV is relevant too. I'm not sure how your past experience with theater will help you study painting and photography, and unless your digital database experience is related with the arts, it may not be worthwhile to waste your CV space on it - you will only need to take one sentence to explain in your SOP that you are organized and can handle responsibility.

The problem is - it's good to have a lot of interests, but sometimes TOO much information about your interests can scare adcoms. Instead of looking worldly, wise and excited, sometimes that eagerness comes off as indecision. I would be very selective about how your present yourself. In the end, you should come off as one thought-out, prettily wrapped package. :)

P.S. After doing this "full SOP", EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT. You'll find that there are NEVER enough versions to make it feel complete. :) The best thing to do is just make sure you tailor it for each school, it's a beautiful piece of writing, and it conveys you as a sophisticated, motivated, and fine candidate for grad school. :)

Sorry, I feel like I should have just wrote this clarifying statement: Although the bulk of the SOP can be the same, you will need to cater the SOP to the school you are applying to, so having a generic thesis statement probably won't apply to all circumstances. Best of luck!

Another approach:

What do you really want to study in grad school? Modern and urbanism? Then find a program that does that well, and mention in your statement that you've had a wide variety of interests as an undergrad but you've decided this is really what you want to work on. You might also mention something about your experience as a producing artist giving you firsthand insight into the creative process and the physical media of art. (That's what I did--I had a BFA when I applied to grad school.)

I don't know that it's really necessary to try to synthesize all your interests in the statement. Frankly, I think you sound like a really interesting candidate because of all that--if you remain a little mysterious, you might incite their curiosity.

I know that Texas used to have someone in architecture who did urbanism (Alofsin? might have retired), and they're certainly good in modern. Emory is good in African, but it sounds like you're turning away from that. That's also a good place if you want to do African interactions with the west. I think they just made a new hire in modern.

The best I've come up with so far as a general thesis for my SOP is:

"I view art history as the study of the physicality of human existence. As such, my research and my art seeks to communicate a tangible and intelligible connection between environmental specificity and human society while simultaneously shaping that society."

Writing SOPs is hard. I'm far from a SOP aficionado, despite beginning a program this fall. I can say that if this is the introduction to your SOP, that you're introducing way too much in a cursory manner. This actually seems fairly convoluted, and would be better if it was simplified into separate paragraphs. If you do intend to play up your interdisciplinary background, I would suggest catering it towards the advisors who would perhaps share a similar background. Otherwise, if you're applying to an art history program, it is a wise decision to show your reasoning as to why the program is a good fit for you (which, then would be great to play up the program's interdisciplinary track and how it melds with your interests).

If you're applying to several programs, choose the one with the shortest writing requirement. That way, you're forced to limit your word choice, and use that as a template for other SOP prompts that allow more characters. Do avoid as much romantic language as possible - I can't imagine how happy professors are to see that people "love art because they always saw it in museums as a child." I don't need to tell you graduate programs require intensive research, so sounding serious about your work is a plus. Lastly, if you're interested in pursuing a higher degree passed the MA track, it would not hurt to mention invested interested in the Ph.D (what have you).

Sidenote: I think it's quite easy to lose your individual voice if you allow too many hands to edit your statement of purpose. Perhaps a professor may provide suggestions for you?

Edit* I see you mentioned it as a thesis. I'm not too sure if you simply mean that you're just thinking about covering that stuff in your SOP? If that's so, cool. If not, I'd avoid having a thesis unless required so by the prompt.

Edited by Chulianne

• 5 months later...