How important is UG university's denominational affiliation?

Kent Cooper III

I may be applying to some top div schools (Yale, ND, etc.) in the upcoming years for an MA or MTS in biblical studies/early christianity, but I am afraid the confessions of my UG school might play a bigger role in acceptance/rejection than I originally thought. I attend a conservative bible college which has an outspoken conviction for the inerrancy of scripture, expository preaching, and so on. It is comprised mostly of aspiring pastors and ministry workers of evangelical churches. Pretty much about anyone can be accepted.

With that said, it is somewhat academically rigorous, and there are several opportunities for academic dialogue with the more scholarly professors. I'd compare it to a down-sized Moody BI.

I'm one out of a half dozen episcopalians at the school.

My question is this: Does this kill my chances in spite of a 4.0, decent recs, academic experience, etc.?

Vague question. I know

Hello Kent,

I think you can count on application readers at least initially assuming negative things about your bible college, simply because while yours may have been academically strong, most aren’t. You (and hopefully your referees) can thoroughly emphasize your skills, accomplishments, and experiences, rather than just the school’s credential. You can also point to tangible things you’ve taken away from the program, such as knowledge of ancient languages. With all that said, this is not a deal-killer. People have done exactly what you are hoping to, so don’t lose heart.

If your undergraduate experience doesn’t get you into Yale or Notre Dame, you also might want to consider one of your more theologically conservative denominational seminaries (Nashotah or Trinity) as a way station on your journey. Both are excellent seminaries in their own right, and would give you a chance to demonstrate your potential, should you want to test the waters at Yale or Notre Dame later.

Best wishes,

Westcott

One of my friends just finished an MAR at Yale (now entering PhD at UVA) and came from a small bible college in her undergrad. Yale especially, seems not to mind. As I'm sure they would tell you, it's your whole application that they will consider. I myself went to an evangelical university with a reputation for being conservative, lo and behold Harvard wanted me.

I'll repeat with 11Q13 said, as I have also heard Yale doesn't mind. Harvard likely wouldn't care (or the others for that matter) if you address it in your statement. But really, from your interest, writing sample, and SOP, it should be fairly obvious if you are something they do not want. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would second the suggestion to look also into places like Gordon Conwell or Trinity Evangelical. Both have great records when it comes to placing people into places like ND and Duke. However, why do you want to go to a place like ND, Duke, Yale, etc? I imagine that a Ph.D from Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville holds more currency in those circles than a Yale or ND degree.

I would second the suggestion to look also into places like Gordon Conwell or Trinity Evangelical. Both have great records when it comes to placing people into places like ND and Duke. However, why do you want to go to a place like ND, Duke, Yale, etc? I imagine that a Ph.D from Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville holds more currency in those circles than a Yale or ND degree.

Yes, definitely. However, my theological convictions aren't what they once were at the time I enrolled in my UG. Basically, I am trying to take a step out of that "circle." That is not to say that I think all conservatives or evangelical types are "missing it" or whatever. I'm not trying to bash my school or classmates at all. I just hope to be involved with a different spectrum of academia and of the church. With that said, I am looking into a school with more ecumenical dialogue.

Yes, definitely. However, my theological convictions aren't what they once were at the time I enrolled in my UG. Basically, I am trying to take a step out of that "circle." That is not to say that I think all conservatives or evangelical types are "missing it" or whatever. I'm not trying to bash my school or classmates at all. I just hope to be involved with a different spectrum of academia and of the church. With that said, I am looking into a school with more ecumenical dialogue.

I'd reiterate more strongly what someone else recommended - address it in your statement. Point out the ways your personal identity differs from your school's, and in what ways the school actually helped you - gracious & compassionate dialogue with people with whom you don't agree, for example. A broad perspective is always a good thing. And you can let your uniqueness shine against the backdrop of the school. Unexpected stories like yours can, I'm sure, be a pretty good hook. Your last sentence - "I am looking into a school with more ecumenical dialogue" - is great.

Also, I sometimes wonder if higher-calibre schools might even be looking for people from more conservative backgrounds to diversify the conversations within the classroom ( / change their minds?). Occasionally it seems that way.