What do I need to get into Caltech Aerospace?

AbaNader

I have a 3.5 undergraduate GPA from a large state school (top 100, nothing great) and a 4.0 graduate GPA from a top 10 engineering school. I have 2-3 conference papers and a journal paper in a good respected journal on which I am the first author. Two of my three recommendations are solid but not from any particular stalwarts in the field. My third recommendation is good but I doubt great because its someone I took two classes with in my undergrad, only. My GRE I took two years ago gave me a 760 on the quant and 650 on the verbal. I will do it again this fall.

I am applying to the doctoral program. My expertise so far is control but I am more interested in active flow control and fluid-structure interaction. They have professors that exactly match my interests.

Should I bother? Input from current Caltech students and/or current/previous applicants would be great.

Go for it, mate. I got into the doctoral program with lesser credentials than that and am starting this fall. I think it'll all come down to how you present yourself and your interests in your statement. You've got material for a solid application IMHO.

Go for it, mate. I got into the doctoral program with lesser credentials than that and am starting this fall. I think it'll all come down to how you present yourself and your interests in your statement. You've got material for a solid application IMHO.

Congratulations! And thanks for the positive encouragement.

What do you think really got you into the program? Any special letters of recs? Statement of purpose?

Also, what area are you in?

Thanks. I'm in Fluids, but who knows where after the first year of coursework :) What do I think got me in? Well I think primarily my statement - I think the key is to write it so it appeals to the research interests of as many Profs as possible. And my experience has been largely in fluids which is quite a big specialty at GALCIT. Oh also I should have clarified I applied for the Masters with a view to going into the Doctoral degree....sorry about that :P