Operations Research/Stats Grad School Profile Evaluation

bodaos

I am applying for Operation Research and some statistics programs

Below are my profiles, can you help me to take a look and comment on my chances of getting in? I welcome suggestions for other schools as well. My plan is to either get into a phd or to getting into a prestigious master's program. My biggest disadvantage is that I am on an accelerated graduation program, so I did not take as many courses as others, the courses below are the courses completed by the end of my sophomore year.

I would really appreciate your help, thanks!

Undergrad Institution: Carleton College (top 10 liberal arts college)

Major(s):Mathematics

Minor(s):None

GPA in Major: 3.91

Overall GPA:3.82

Length of Degree: I completed a 4 year degree in 3 years.

Position in Class: Near top

Type of Student: International student

GRE Scores:

Q:800

V:740

W: Not out yet

Courses: Math: Probability, Algorithm, Advanced Algorithm, Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Advanced Abtract Algebra, Advanced Linear Algebra, Topology, Surfaces

Computer Science: Data Structure

Economics: Price Theory, Econometric

Research Experience: I have done Markov Chain Monte Carlo simulations on gravitational waves for my physics professor for two year, hopefully we can get something published before application.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list for Freshmen year. Starr Scholarship holder

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Calculus Tutor for one year, Grader for courses like (topology, discrete mathematics, caculus), Mathematica lab assistant.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

In freshmen year, I was ranked 700 in the putnam contest.

Applying for [ MS ] or [ PhD ] at:

Cornell Applied Probability (MS/PhD)

Columbia OR(Financial Engineering)/Stats

Stanford OR(M.S)

Princeton OR(PhD)

Well you have a lot of what it takes, but mind you, saying you went to a top-10 liberal arts school does very little justice since you were in a STEM major. That's like saying you went to MIT for English, if it's not their specialty that you went there for, what's the point of mentioning it?

In terms of your credentials, like many, you have a lot of what it takes, however, you are applying to some of the best schools as well, which is very difficult to judge. You also seem like your only applying to 4 schools, and they are some of the best 4 schools in the country/world. When I applied to grad school I applied to 12 different schools to give me the best odds of acceptance. I'm not saying to apply to 12, but 4 of some of the best schools really puts you in a tight position if they all reject you. You have very good credentials, but so don't the other hundreds of students applying as well.

My advice, add a few other schools that might also be in your interest to aid as an added backup and make sure you explain in your SOP why you want to do a operations research/probability/financial engineering. You need something that is going to really separate you from the other students who came from other top math/engineering schools. In terms of GRE/GPA you can't really get any better. If you can get some type of conference paper out of your research it will really set you apart and really give you that added advantage to get into those top schools.

agree with hasseye,... going to a liberal art college is like going to MIT for English.

However, you have very good numbers in pretty much all the areas, and your major is not very far off from OR/Stat, I'd say you have very good chance at top schools. I'd say apply to a lot of top schools, and a few second tier schools just in case.

Well you have a lot of what it takes, but mind you, saying you went to a top-10 liberal arts school does very little justice since you were in a STEM major. That's like saying you went to MIT for English, if it's not their specialty that you went there for, what's the point of mentioning it?

In terms of your credentials, like many, you have a lot of what it takes, however, you are applying to some of the best schools as well, which is very difficult to judge. You also seem like your only applying to 4 schools, and they are some of the best 4 schools in the country/world. When I applied to grad school I applied to 12 different schools to give me the best odds of acceptance. I'm not saying to apply to 12, but 4 of some of the best schools really puts you in a tight position if they all reject you. You have very good credentials, but so don't the other hundreds of students applying as well.

My advice, add a few other schools that might also be in your interest to aid as an added backup and make sure you explain in your SOP why you want to do a operations research/probability/financial engineering. You need something that is going to really separate you from the other students who came from other top math/engineering schools. In terms of GRE/GPA you can't really get any better. If you can get some type of conference paper out of your research it will really set you apart and really give you that added advantage to get into those top schools.

Thank you for your advice, actually I am wondering, if I am applying for masters only, will it be easier for me to get in to the best school. Up to now, I find that I don't have a passion for academics, so I thought a masters degree is sufficient to help me find a job, is that true?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my AW score, it was a horrible 3.5. Does it seriously affect my chance of getting into the best schools? I am so shocked!! :angry: Can someone give me some advice?

Don't worry about the AW score. In terms of applying to graduate schools, I was rejected into Tufts MSEE, yet I was accepted into UMich MSEE, USC MSEE and Browns engineering program. A top-10 school accepted me and an ivy league, yet a top-60 school rejected me...Didn't make sense.

My perspective? What's the only thing stopping you from deciding what school will accept you or not? About $60 for the application fee. I applied to 12 different schools ranging from top-10 to unranked and from MS degrees to PhDs, my biggest fear is that I wasn't going to be able to find my limit, and frankly I did not.

I was expecting a reject from Mich and Brown, but did not get it. Now I question whether I could have gotten into Stanford or GTech Berekley, I'll never really know now will I.

Don't have any doubts, just pay the fear and once you get all the acceptances you can make a decision then.