Thesis Proposal?

PastHistory

I am trying to put together my thesis proposal but the guidelines I am following are a little vague. Does anyone know where I can find a good example online, preferably for history? Most of the ones I keep coming across in my searches are in the sciences.

Also, any advice from people already through this hurdle would be appreciated (stuff to include, leave out, how to format, etc).

Thanks!

I have two suggestions, which are pretty much common sense, and you've probably already considered them.

1. Be sure to emphasize the primary sources you will be using. I notice that some grad students still struggle with designing their projects around the available sources, rather than the other way around. Also, did you do an historiographical essay first? This really helped me, in terms of evaluating the body of secondary source literature floating around in my field, and deciding where/how I was going to enter the conversation.

2. The guidelines in the Turabian style guide are pretty useful in terms of going back to basics, and thinking about your project in an organized way.

If I think of anything else, I'll stop by again.

Good luck!

Edited by goldielocks

I think that the historiography is the first thing that should be done. You need to be able to identify where the holes in the analysis thus far have been. Has your thesis advisor given you any samples/guidelines/format that they want you to use? I would need to look at mine, but I believe that I laid out the background of my topic, gave the perspectives/arguements that have been presented by historians in my historiography (basically a mini historiography), then laid out my argument. I know that I included which primary sources I planned on using and I addressed who was on my committee. Good luck, writing a thesis is not easy but so worthwhile!

My department demanded a very specific format, which made things easier. It included two abstracts (one for a general audience, one for historians), a more detailed description of what I was hoping to do, a timeline, a working bibliography and a budget.

Like others say, the historiography is a really important thing to emphasize. I had to submit my proposal just as I was getting started, so my department was content with me simply saying that I would examine existing historiography more deeply, but my basic idea is... etc. If you have a good idea what historiographical "gaps" your thesis is intending to fill, try to emphasize the importance of your project, and what kind of contribution you're making.

Depending on the sources you've got now, it might be a good idea to have a separate bibliography for primary and secondary sources.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the replies. :) Sorry it took me a little while to respond...having the flu during the summer is almost worse than in the winter.

I have two suggestions, which are pretty much common sense, and you've probably already considered them.

1. Be sure to emphasize the primary sources you will be using. I notice that some grad students still struggle with designing their projects around the available sources, rather than the other way around. Also, did you do an historiographical essay first? This really helped me, in terms of evaluating the body of secondary source literature floating around in my field, and deciding where/how I was going to enter the conversation.

2. The guidelines in the Turabian style guide are pretty useful in terms of going back to basics, and thinking about your project in an organized way.

If I think of anything else, I'll stop by again.

Good luck!

I've been doing a sort of "mini-historiography" this summer in terms of my research, but I hadn't really written any of it up in terms of a formal historiographical essay. I think I'm going to do that, though...thanks for the suggestion. It will probably make it easier for my committee to see how I am engaging with the material, especially (as you mentioned) the secondary sources.

I think that the historiography is the first thing that should be done. You need to be able to identify where the holes in the analysis thus far have been. Has your thesis advisor given you any samples/guidelines/format that they want you to use? I would need to look at mine, but I believe that I laid out the background of my topic, gave the perspectives/arguements that have been presented by historians in my historiography (basically a mini historiography), then laid out my argument. I know that I included which primary sources I planned on using and I addressed who was on my committee. Good luck, writing a thesis is not easy but so worthwhile!

I am going to formalize the historiography and try to better characterize how my research will enhance the field (hopefully!). With the school break and my work schedule, I haven't been able to meet with my advisor about the proposal. The departmental guidelines are about a page long and really seem to deal more with font/margins/spacing than content. :wacko:

My department demanded a very specific format, which made things easier. It included two abstracts (one for a general audience, one for historians), a more detailed description of what I was hoping to do, a timeline, a working bibliography and a budget.

Like others say, the historiography is a really important thing to emphasize. I had to submit my proposal just as I was getting started, so my department was content with me simply saying that I would examine existing historiography more deeply, but my basic idea is... etc. If you have a good idea what historiographical "gaps" your thesis is intending to fill, try to emphasize the importance of your project, and what kind of contribution you're making.

Depending on the sources you've got now, it might be a good idea to have a separate bibliography for primary and secondary sources.

Good luck.

A lot of my research has been focused on the secondary sources trying to establish what they said and where they ignore the archival records. My particular topic was covered by quite a few individuals in the first half of the twentieth-century (it's a relatively recent topic, historically speaking), but not as much scholarship exists from the latter part of the century. Some other issues around my topic came to light in the "gap years" and I hope to connect it with the earlier scholarship.

Thank you again for your replies...I appreciate it! :)