Stay in good job? Go to UK for grad school?

kmartinj2

Hello all,

I've found myself in a bit of a predicament. I recently applied to graduate school in the UK at the University of Bath. I was accepted to study on the course. During the application process I received a promotion at my current place of employment. The job is great and I enjoy it and am making decent money.

My predicament is that when I inquired about deferring for the year to save money and gain experience in my job, I was told that's an option. However, I'm gambling with the fact that the particular program I applied for may not exist next year, or its content may be modified/restructured/merged.

If I stay and work for a year, I will increase my knowledge, experience and savings account. If I go, I will be with my boyfriend who is a UK citizen, attend graduate school (a long time dream) and gain some life experience. Oh yea, and I'd be broke for sure after completion of the program.

Any advise is appreciated. Thank you for listening.

Tough decision!

Deferring sounds ideal, apart from your fears of what the program will look like in a year and not being able to be with your boyfriend. Though, you might also think about whether you'll have to the discipline to save money over the year you'd be working. (I know I found it harder than I thought I would!)

Thank you for your response. I think I'll have some dicipline, but perhaps not as much as I ideally anticipate.

I've never been at such a cross road in my life. Great problem to have, but right now I'm wishing something would fall from the sky telling me what to do.

Really scientific, huh? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love to shop, but I find that it's easier for me to save when I was trying to save towards something - a goal, a trip, a big purchase. Even if I know in my heart that I'm not going to do whatever that thing is, I can successfully psych myself out.

That said...I dunno, I might keep the job. IMO the goal of an MA is to get a job that you like and that pays well. Well, you have that already, right? Getting an MA may be a dream, but if it's not 100% necessary right now I don't see the harm in waiting one more year. A year will fly by.