Suggestions for a second-time applicant

I worked like hell last year and applied to eight top-tier PhD programs for this fall semester, and received rejections from all. It sucked. A lot. I went into an emotional and intellectual funk for a while and had to distance myself from grad school, but now I'm feeling motivated and on track again. Time for round two. I'm retaking the GRE because my verbal scores were, well, middling and my writing score could definitely be improved. I've enrolled in a graduate course at a nearby university (one of my top choices, conveniently) and believe this will provide me with a stronger writing sample. I'm pretty much writing a whole new SoP and looking at schools that are REALLY good fits for my interests (feminist/gender theory, 20th century American lit, specifically Southern lit) instead of just applying to big name schools. What else?? I really want to do all that is humanly possible to strengthen my application. So any other suggestions? How about ways to delicately ask my professors for recommendations...AGAIN (I know they must be used to second-round applicants, but I just feel so embarrassed at the thought of asking them again).

I disappeared from this community for a few months, but I'm looking forward to returning :) Thanks in advance, everyone.

Sorry to hear that the last application cycle was so discouraging for you, but it sounds like you're doing all the right things to improve this time around!

The best thing that you can do this time around is find schools that are a good fit, not just a big name, and you're already doing that. You might want to try contacting faculty as well, this time around. I don't know about you, but I was never good at the "selling" myself thing; but, I've found that many faculty members are happy to answer some questions about the program, put you in touch with current grads, and tell you about what it'd be like to work with them, which can make contacting them less intimidating and/or artificial.

Also, when you choose schools to apply to: unless you already have a master's degree, you could also try applying to one or two funded master's programs to give yourself some more options once decisions come in. My first time through the application cycle I was rejected from all of my PhD programs, but I had an acceptance to a funded master's program and it was the best thing I could have done for myself. I didn't realize at the time how unfocused my research interests still were, and it enabled me to find a subfield (rhet comp) that I find even more rewarding and energizing.

But apart from choosing schools more strategically, I'd recommend you focus the most time on your writing sample and SoP. Those are so important for your application packet.

And as far as LoRs go, no need to feel embarrassed! You're actually asking for a smaller favor the second time around, since your writers already have a letter in place that they can just tweak in terms of dates. And plenty of people have trouble getting acceptances the first time around.

The only other suggestion I can think of is asking letter writers (when they tweak) to make sure they address specific strengths of yours that you think they can speak to. It's actually not a weird thing to ask; some of my letter writers asked me to specifically outline points I wanted them to hit, or asked me to proof a draft of their recommendation.

Oh, I've just thought of one more suggestion—if you didn't before, tailor your SoP to each school this time.

It is a pain in the ass. (I'm not going to sugarcoat it.) But it's really important.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of great things already! I am just wondering, have you now graduated from your undergrad program? If so, what are you doing with your time while you apply? Taking a grad class is great, but I am sure that there is still more time for you to do other stuff. Is there any way for you to get a job that might have something to what you want to go into grad school for or do with your Phd in a similar area with?(I hope that makes as much sense to you as it does to me)

I've been told by professors that it helps when asking them for a letter of recommendation to give them a little packet of sorts that includes papers you wrote for their classes, a copy of your CV, a blurb about what your interests are and how it connects to each school, and anything in particular you want them to make sure to mention. I've heard the easier you can make it for your recommenders, the better.

The best thing that you can do this time around is find schools that are a good fit, not just a big name, and you're already doing that. You might want to try contacting faculty as well, this time around. I don't know about you, but I was never good at the "selling" myself thing; but, I've found that many faculty members are happy to answer some questions about the program, put you in touch with current grads, and tell you about what it'd be like to work with them, which can make contacting them less intimidating and/or artificial.

Also, when you choose schools to apply to: unless you already have a master's degree, you could also try applying to one or two funded master's programs to give yourself some more options once decisions come in. My first time through the application cycle I was rejected from all of my PhD programs, but I had an acceptance to a funded master's program and it was the best thing I could have done for myself. I didn't realize at the time how unfocused my research interests still were, and it enabled me to find a subfield (rhet comp) that I find even more rewarding and energizing.

Yes, I am definitely looking into both of those things! I didn't even consider MA programs last round, but now I have two or three serious contenders to which I'm going to apply. So far I haven't had much luck finding a funded MA that really fits my interest, but I'll keep looking.

Thank you for your reply! :)

It sounds like you are doing a lot of great things already! I am just wondering, have you now graduated from your undergrad program? If so, what are you doing with your time while you apply? Taking a grad class is great, but I am sure that there is still more time for you to do other stuff. Is there any way for you to get a job that might have something to what you want to go into grad school for or do with your Phd in a similar area with?(I hope that makes as much sense to you as it does to me)

Yep, I graduated in spring 2010, and I've been juggling three jobs since then: retail, interning at a literary agency, and working as substitute teacher for the NYC Department of Ed. I'm hoping that the last one in particular will be an asset--after all, it shows extensive teaching experience, right? Who knows, though. A faculty member at one of my top choices told me, "In the academic world, we don't care so much about real-life experience..." -___-

I've been told by professors that it helps when asking them for a letter of recommendation to give them a little packet of sorts that includes papers you wrote for their classes, a copy of your CV, a blurb about what your interests are and how it connects to each school, and anything in particular you want them to make sure to mention. I've heard the easier you can make it for your recommenders, the better.

I did provide my professors with a packet similar to the one you described, I'm just a little embarrassed about contacting them and sheepishly explaining that I need LORs again. :\

Edited by cquin

I did provide my professors with a packet similar to the one you described, I'm just a little embarrassed about contacting them and sheepishly explaining that I need LORs again. :\

I hear you! I would be do. Hell, I'm embarrassed to ask mine to write me letters for some of the top tiered schools because I'm afraid they're going to be thinking "uh, yeah right." Not that I'm a bad student or anything, I'm just insecure. LOL

Congrats on being ready to give it another shot! Just remember that no one can ever keep you from applying again. Soon enough you'll find your place. (My first round was a disaster, but I've had two thrillingly successful ones since. Grad-school applications are such a long-shot sometimes and for so many crazy reasons. Rejection does not mean you aren't well-suited for grad-school! [The MA program I was in had 14 people in it. Next year there'll be 8 in it. Does this have anything to do with the quality of the applicants? Nope.])

As others are saying, you're completely on the right track. And I couldn't agree more with everything that runonsentence said, in particular. Contacting faculty makes a huge amount of difference: a) it breaks the ice, B) it makes your application more memorable; c) and a lot of professors pay the closest attention to people they know really want to work with them. This is the best piece of advice I got from an undergrad professor: get in touch, express enthusiasm for the person's work, ask lots of questions.

Don't be shy about requesting letters-of-recommendation. First of all, writing LORs is part of the job (and if you choose well, they'll enjoy writing compliments about you!). Second, your professors want to help you succeed: in fact, when you report to them that you didn't have any success, they might feel just as bad about it as you do! So go for it.

I hear you! I would be do. Hell, I'm embarrassed to ask mine to write me letters for some of the top tiered schools because I'm afraid they're going to be thinking "uh, yeah right." Not that I'm a bad student or anything, I'm just insecure. LOL

You never know! Departments are all different, and there's no way to predict whether Professor A from Top School will take an interest in Applicant L for very subtle reasons. I'm friends with a guy who applied to the University of Y, Y State University, Southern Y University, Z College That No One Outside Y Has Ever Heard Of, and (on a whim) Harvard. Results: five acceptances. The hardest part for him was getting the news to sink in! (The thought of actually doing his MSc at Harvard weirded him out, but he thought about it, visited the campus and two others, and ultimately decided to go there. Had a great experience.)

Edited by psycholinguist

Congrats on being ready to give it another shot! Just remember that no one can ever keep you from applying again. Soon enough you'll find your place. (My first round was a disaster, but I've had two thrillingly successful ones since. Grad-school applications are such a long-shot sometimes and for so many crazy reasons. Rejection does not mean you aren't well-suited for grad-school! [The MA program I was in had 14 people in it. Next year there'll be 8 in it. Does this have anything to do with the quality of the applicants? Nope.])

As others are saying, you're completely on the right track. And I couldn't agree more with everything that runonsentence said, in particular. Contacting faculty makes a huge amount of difference: a) it breaks the ice, B) it makes your application more memorable; c) and a lot of professors pay the closest attention to people they know really want to work with them. This is the best piece of advice I got from an undergrad professor: get in touch, express enthusiasm for the person's work, ask lots of questions.

Don't be shy about requesting letters-of-recommendation. First of all, writing LORs is part of the job (and if you choose well, they'll enjoy writing compliments about you!). Second, your professors want to help you succeed: in fact, when you report to them that you didn't have any success, they might feel just as bad about it as you do! So go for it.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I will definitely be contacting professors in the upcoming weeks. I've already made some acquaintances at one school (the one where I'm taking a grad course at), so that's a start. As I narrow down my list of potential schools, I'll start e-mailing like crazy ;)

Hi cquin, will be rooting for you this upcoming application season! When you say that you only applied to top tier schools, what ranks were these schools? Were they all top 20?

Thanks for the support! :) And yep, all eight of the schools were "Top 20" (or maybe "Top 30" or something--those rankings can be so subjective). In hindsight, some were clearly a poor fit for me and, aside from their prestigious name, probably wouldn't offer me much. I will be reapplying to three schools, though--Duke, CUNY Grad, and Cornell--because I think they're excellent fits for me regardless of ranking.

Thanks for the support! :) And yep, all eight of the schools were "Top 20" (or maybe "Top 30" or something--those rankings can be so subjective). In hindsight, some were clearly a poor fit for me and, aside from their prestigious name, probably wouldn't offer me much. I will be reapplying to three schools, though--Duke, CUNY Grad, and Cornell--because I think they're excellent fits for me regardless of ranking.

That's great that you were able to weed down some schools, fit is definitely important! Not trying to be a salesperson for my school but you should definitely look into Vanderbilt if you are considering going into Southern literature. The Southern Agrarians actually came together at Vanderbilt, so you can only imagine how influenced the English department is by southern literary history.

The thing to remember about rejections is that you may have been rejected for reasons that extend beyond you and your application packet: low-funding, the professor you wanted to work with is going on sabbatical, etc. The point is that 1) you shouldn't be beating yourself up about having to reapply and 2) those who wrote your LOR will likely be happy to recommend you again.

It might also help to shoot a note over to the professors you have an interest in working with, if you haven't done this before, just to get your name out there. Ask them about their research, funding, etc. One of my professors told me to approach my queries as though I've already been accepted and that I'm trying to figure out if I really want to attend there. So far, this has worked well for me (although I do feel weird trying to speak at a "professional" level with potential professors, knowing that I am no where near their level of expertise).

Edited by dimanche0829

w00t! (Also, this is dripping with personal-bias, but: I did my undergrad degree at Cornell and their English department looked awesome. I only ever took one English class while I was there, but I can at least say that the building it's in is lovely and the faculty are a bunch of real characters!)

w00t! (Also, this is dripping with personal-bias, but: I did my undergrad degree at Cornell and their English department looked awesome. I only ever took one English class while I was there, but I can at least say that the building it's in is lovely and the faculty are a bunch of real characters!)

Cornell is my reach school this year. *Fingers Crossed*

Oh, I've just thought of one more suggestion—if you didn't before, tailor your SoP to each school this time.

It is a pain in the ass. (I'm not going to sugarcoat it.) But it's really important.

THIS. Very much, this. I know for a fact that this made a world of difference not only for my acceptance, but also my awesome fellowship, at my new school. And if it's helpful, I was also told that the professors on the ad com all loved my writing sample, so it was clearly what ultimately made the decision for them.

Good luck!