Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

You have to go to the actual application, and under 'downloadable forms,' there's an 'application status form' that they update when they've received your materials. I submitted my application back in November, and they only updated my form today.

Ah, I see! Thanks!! I just checked, and yes, it does say "YES" under "At department".

Well thanks for the head's up folks! Do you know if any other schools have such electronic monitoring for your apps? A couple of my other schools I've just ptoced calls to their admissions dept & I have received almost the same answer: "yes we have received your application & it is going through the process". Maybe I should've used a nom de plume?

This board has been really busy, so I must not be the only one experiencing anxiety about the wait. I've been spending time revising my honors thesis, and I've realized that this is not helpful for the anxiety. Every change I make (which is more fussing than improving, to be honest) seems like a blow to my application. I don't recommend this.

Today was also the deadline of the one program I had been vaguely considering applying to. I've decided against it, but that sort of gives this day a "point of no return" feel. Hope everyone else is managing their stress levels better than I am.

The waiting is making me progressively crazier, you guys. Every email I get from academia.edu, stating that someone has googled me, puts a knot in my stomach in hopes that it is a potential advisor. Meanwhile, it is probably no one at all.

February can't come soon enough!

The waiting is making me progressively crazier, you guys. Every email I get from academia.edu, stating that someone has googled me, puts a knot in my stomach in hopes that it is a potential advisor. Meanwhile, it is probably no one at all.

Whoa. Back up the bus. Are you telling me there's a service out there that will tell you if someone in academia has googled you??

Nevermind, goldielocks. Just read your comment again. This is just for your academia.edu profile, right? I get it. :)

lol, I think I'm going crazy! For a second I thought there was some service that would let you know if someone from an academic server googled you... (I suppose it's possible technically). But, nevermind! Back to my paranoia! :)

Haha, Crater. It's okay. I think everyone is starting to fizzle out right about now.

Yeah, just for academia.edu. I have gotten a few notifications lately that I'm being Googled. It just tells you when, what keywords they used, what time, and what country they're in.

In other news, I just submitted my VERY LAST application. Hopefully this means that it is my last doctoral application ever. I will celebrate by revising a chapter of my thesis.

Hope you're all holding up okay. :)

I'm right there on the crazy train with you! :)

Is the reality of all of this starting to sink in for anyone else right now? I am feeling sort of apprehensive. On the one hand, I just want to know if I'm going to get an offer already. On the other, I sort of want to stay hiding in this happy ignorance... still able to think that anything could happen. I looked through the results survey earlier, and it looks like my programs started notifying admits in the second week of February last year. That seems so close and so far away at the same time.

Is the reality of all of this starting to sink in for anyone else right now? I am feeling sort of apprehensive. On the one hand, I just want to know if I'm going to get an offer already. On the other, I sort of want to stay hiding in this happy ignorance... still able to think that anything could happen. I looked through the results survey earlier, and it looks like my programs started notifying admits in the second week of February last year. That seems so close and so far away at the same time.

I feel like we are sharing a brain at this moment. ;) But, seriously, I feel the same. I think the majority of applicants do.

AFB -- yes, I'm sure you're right. My advisor keeps urging me to sit down and make a list, ranking my programs in an ideal world where I get an offer from everyone. She says it's important to decide how I feel about each program before getting caught up in the emotions that come with decisions. I have a hard time doing this because, honestly, without fishing for compliments or anything... I have a hard time allowing myself to think I'm going to get an offer from anyone. I suppose it's how I minimize risk of disappointment. Has everyone else made a list like this? I feel like I'm going to jinx myself if I even think about it. Irrational, I know. But I do.

Edited by goldielocks

I deplore the ignorance. Lately I've taken to re-reading various departments' course offerings for 2009 and 2010 and trying to guess what's in the syllabi. Only one month...........