Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

So, I started a different thread on this topic, which was mentioned above. Holdon, can you explain what you mean by the second sentence above? I can't find any reliable information on this.

The two main issues that were explained to me were:

1. Lack of teaching possibilities. Some UK places do let you TA or provide other teaching arrangements, but they aren't as common or required as in many US schools, so that puts you at a disadvantage. Even if you do get to teach, it's often only for 1 year at best, since most PhDs are 3 years.

2. Networking possibilities are reduced. Like any job, it's often who you meet (often times by chance) that help you out. So if you are presenting at regional conferences or something like that then you are obviously more likely to meet people teaching in the UK than those who might be in the US if you want to teach in the US.

The two main issues that were explained to me were:

1. Lack of teaching possibilities. Some UK places do let you TA or provide other teaching arrangements, but they aren't as common or required as in many US schools, so that puts you at a disadvantage. Even if you do get to teach, it's often only for 1 year at best, since most PhDs are 3 years.

2. Networking possibilities are reduced. Like any job, it's often who you meet (often times by chance) that help you out. So if you are presenting at regional conferences or something like that then you are obviously more likely to meet people teaching in the UK than those who might be in the US if you want to teach in the US.

I was considering applying to schools in Canada or the UK, and my advisor cautioned me against it because it would be difficult to be hired in the US. Another reason it is hard to get hired is that some American universities feel that international PhDs don't understand American students.

I guess just from looking at British qualified professors I've know either at Columbia, or at other schools I'm shooting for. They were mostly of the distinguished older variety: worked at a big UK school, wrote something huge, and came over here for the $$$/better work conditions. I guess I haven't come across many freshly minted PhDs starting regular tenure track. Perhaps others can think of some. I can't.

That's my unscientific two cents. I think not doing the 2 year MA that we do in the US makes them less attractive as generalists for the purpose of teaching UGs but I could be talking crap, as I don't know the UK system particularly well.

Well, another week is almost finished. One week closer to results. At least on Fridays I can breathe a sigh of relief for a few days and relax, since adcoms most likely won't send anything over the weekend. Just another two weeks until we start getting into the thick of it.

Another reason it is hard to get hired is that some American universities feel that international PhDs don't understand American students.

This is a good point but certainly less relavent if the person in question was an American citizen and had done their undergrad at a US school.

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever had an application fee refunded for no apparent reason? I got an automated email today saying that the fee was being refunded to my credit card, with no explanation and no change in my application status online. I am flipping out now wondering why.

Any clues?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever had an application fee refunded for no apparent reason? I got an automated email today saying that the fee was being refunded to my credit card, with no explanation and no change in my application status online. I am flipping out now wondering why.

Any clues?

I'm sure you're thinking of horrible reasons (the program closed! they're rejecting me out of hand and pity me so much they're refunding the app fee!) but at least one benign answer could be that you clicked the "pay fee" button twice and it accidentally charged you. And the easiest way to figure out if this is true is probably to call the department or similarly appropriate number, and find out why. I totally understand the freak-out response though. I'd be doing the same. Just reassure yourself that there are harmless answers too, and make the call.

Hello everyone,

Any clues?

I did last year! I applied to a state school in which I am a resident and they gave me back half about two months after I applied. No clue why, but it was nice.

I'm sure you're thinking of horrible reasons (the program closed! they're rejecting me out of hand and pity me so much they're refunding the app fee!) but at least one benign answer could be that you clicked the "pay fee" button twice and it accidentally charged you. And the easiest way to figure out if this is true is probably to call the department or similarly appropriate number, and find out why. I totally understand the freak-out response though. I'd be doing the same. Just reassure yourself that there are harmless answers too, and make the call.

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I doubled checked and the payment went through fine (only once) back in October. I emailed to see what was up and got an auto-response saying that I should get an answer in 1-3 business days. Hopefully, it's just a clerical error. Fingers crossed!

This is a good point but certainly less relavent if the person in question was an American citizen and had done their undergrad at a US school.

I brought those points up to my mentor and was told that it doesn't matter if you are an American or did your undergrad at a US school. If you receive your PhD training abroad, you will not be gaining teaching experience with American students. There is a big difference between teaching abroad and teaching American students.

So,

I recently got called for a first-round interview at one of my top schools [Religion Dept., not History]. It is one of my top choices, am interested in what the faculty are doing, funding is great....

Don't know what to expect in an interview though! Do I wear a suit? What are they trying to find out? What should I be asking?

it is exciting, but am trying to plan...so ANY help will be appreciated (any other posts on GC that I should read?)

thanks guys

Also,

How does one find out what the graduate stipends exactly are at various schools?

Some websites say, some results on the survey board say. The results threads in the forum will sometimes have people state how much they received. But I do believe it can vary from year to year (like last year U Mich history acceptees received a BIG stipend), so I would ask the program if it's not on the website.

Edited by Kelkel

Congrats, SamAli! You'd definitely want to check out the interviews forum in the 'applications' folder, but I'm sure others who have gone through the process can give you some history-specific pointers here as well.

Sooo, there is now a second Yale interview on the results page (this one says its a Skype interview).

Sorry for obsessing over this on this thread! I'm honestly more curious than stressed about it.

Interesting. I suspect next week will be big for Yale interviews.

Sooo, there is now a second Yale interview on the results page (this one says its a Skype interview).

Sorry for obsessing over this on this thread! I'm honestly more curious than stressed about it.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has more info on this, and to send big congrats to the poster.

What is the big difference? I'm just curious. I taught abroad, but not at the college level. Thanks! :)

In the British system, students only have to take courses in one subject. So if you are teaching history courses in the UK, you basically have a classroom full of history majors. In the US, we have to teach survey courses where the majority of your class may not want to be there, but they need the class to graduate. Also, in the British system students are tested at the end of their three year course of study. In the US, we give frequent quizzes and exams.

What is the big difference? I'm just curious. I taught abroad, but not at the college level. Thanks! :)

In addition to what sandyvanb mentions, as I understand it there is much more one-on-one work in the UK. And the courses are much shorter in length in terms of lectures (I had two visiting professors from UK schools mention that they didn't know what to do with themselves for the extra 4+ weeks) with longer breaks that are intended for independent study.

I am jealous of not having to take courses outside one's major. In my last semester of undergrad I was forced to drop a course in Latin to make room for a world music course that was an absolute waste of my time (not that world music is a waste of time, but that particular course was), just to fulfil gen. ed. reqs.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has more info on this, and to send big congrats to the poster.

I second the sentiments ... also does anyone have a firm idea of how other schools have done their interview process in the past few years?

Congratulations to the new Yale interview posted on the results survey! Is anyone going to finally claim any of these?

I'm willing to bet that whatever the outcome of the interview, the people who posted these results are so nervous about their acceptance being extremely tenuous that they will maintain anonymity until it's set in stone.....

Edited by crazedandinfused

I'm willing to bet that whatever the outcome of the interview, the people who posted these results are so nervous about their acceptance being extremely tenuous that they will maintain anonymity until it's set in stone.....

Yes, you are probably right. I am just trying to figure out if they're all Americanists or not, so I can gauge whether or not I can count myself out at this point.