MA in Sociology/Criminology before PhD in Anthro?

Ultimately, I want to get a PhD in anthropology with a focus on forensics. However, I've done a lot of thinking and I don't really think I want to get a PhD without getting an MA first. I think getting an MA will give me time to consider if I really want a PhD, and would give me the opportunity to strengthen and mature my application. One problem is that the MA anthropology program at my top choice school typically doesn't fund students, and I've talked to professors who said that MA students might be able to scrounge up a little outside funding, but its very small amount which barely makes a dent and sometimes students at this program can take up to 4 years (eek!) to get their MA.

So, as an alternative, I've been looking into Sociology programs with a concentration in Criminology. The program I'm looking at takes about 2 years and there is funding available for MA students. I think that this might be the route for me since criminology is related to my interests (it would give me a greater understanding of the legal and social side of forensics), and I would get experience in an MA program.

My question is: do anthropology PhD programs prefer for you to have an MA in anthropology over other degrees? I got my BA in anthro, so it's not like I don't have any experience in anthropology.

Thanks!

Edited by noodles.galaznik

Well, forensics is not good for job prospects. Very little jobs out there just to do forensics. Most do physical anthropology and do forensics on the side.

Didn't really answer my question, but ok. I'll bite.

I'm well aware of the job prospects in forensics. Yet, despite after hearing everything about I still want to be involved in it someway. My interest is in biological anthropology, mainly in anthropological genetics. One of my sub-interests is forensic DNA. I don't want to do the whole forensic anthropologist thing, really, I want to analyze DNA in an anthropological context, and in a forensic context when I get the opportunity. So, it really isn't the only thing I want to do, but it is a major one. That's why I wanted to know if getting an MA in Sociology/Criminology would be of use. And who knows--I might get an MA in Sociology/Criminology and really love that, and stick to that. But I really just wanted to know if Anthropology PhD programs preferred you to have an MA in anthropology over one in a different (yet related) subject.

I'm sorry you got offended. I didn't mean to offend you. I just know a lot of people who want to do solely forensic anthropology and their dreams get crushed when there really isn't a job market for it. I would think schools don't care to much about which department you got a masters from but more about what are you interested in and what research you did while you were there. Again sorry if I offended you.

I'm sorry you got offended. I didn't mean to offend you. I just know a lot of people who want to do solely forensic anthropology and their dreams get crushed when there really isn't a job market for it. I would think schools don't care to much about which department you got a masters from but more about what are you interested in and what research you did while you were there. Again sorry if I offended you.

Oh, sorry! I was a bit cranky that day, and sorry if it sounded like I was mad--I wasn't. Ok, glad to know that a sociology degree won't hold me back from an anth PhD program.

I know what you mean about the people who want to be forensic anthropologists; I have several friends who want to be forensic anthropologists, and that's the only thing they want to do. I don't think they really know just how competitive it is, and just how few jobs there are. That's why anthro genetics are my main interest. Forensics are awesome, but I'm not banking on making a career solely based on forensic anthro.