Prose Writer as LOR Writer

edost

I'm applying to PoliSci and communications programs. Would it be appropriate to ask a well-known literary figure to write one of my recommendation letters? He knows me quite well from writing classes, and he hold the title of professor at my university, though he doesn't have a Ph.D. and he isn't a researcher (neither is he familiar with my own research). However, since the other two letter writers know my research capabilities, maybe it's okay.

What do you think?

How would this figure's letter help advance your candidacy?

• First, as he does not have a doctorate, he cannot offer an informed opinion on how you may do in a graduate program in your field.
  • Second, as he is not in your field, he cannot offer a credible appraisal of how you might contribute to it.
  • Third, the skill set he's helped you develop--your writing--will be evident in the documents you provide to support your candidacy.

MOO, you will be better off finding an established academic to write that third letter of recommendation. In the future, you will be able to ask this figure to help you in other ways where his expertise will be more relevant and his reputation will open more doors.

My $0.02.

I would actually disagree with Sigaba's first point if he holds an MFA, as that's seen as a terminal degree for creative writing (though I'm not sure how well-known that fact is in fields outside English, so that may not help you much with a Poli Sci adcom, anyway).

However, my question is, why do you think it's important to ask him? Is there something about your performance in his writing classes that you think speaks to your capacity for graduate work? Why ask him over a professor in your field? Three LoRs about your research capabilities and potential for successfully doing Poli Sci work would be better than two, and Sigaba's third point is dead on—your writing skills should be shining through your writing sample and even your SoP.

Because this writer is outside your field, there should be a really strong reason for asking him to write a letter for you. (Besides the fact that he's famous. Especially because his fame probably won't be as impressive since you're not applying to English programs.)

Here's the thing: I have two Masters degrees, one in PoliSci and one in literature (creative writing). I thought it might be odd if none of my recommenders come from the literature department, since that is the latest degree I've achieved. Besides, I want to emphasize the fact that I have two MAs and have a wide range of knowledge from different disciplines. Of the Lit faculty members who taught me, the writer knows me best, even if he isn't familiar with my research capabilities. Even the Lit professors for whom I've written seminar papers don't know my research capabilities beyond that one paper each one read, so I thought it might not matter much whether it will be the writer or a full-on Lit academic.

In short, these are the three possibilities for recommender No. 3 that I have to choose between (keep in mind that recommenders No. 1 & 2 are from PoliSci and communications):

1) The prose writer with the rank of professor

2) A Lit professor who gave me a great grade on a paper but doesn't know me much beyond that

3) Another PoliSci professor who is more familiar with my research (meaning, no letter writer will address my time in the Literature MA program).

Edost--

Here's a suggestion that may position you to use the literary figure to write you a letter of recommendation. The suggestion entails some research and some risk.

Spend some time finding monographs and journal articles by political scientists that talk about "what is wrong with poly sci today." When you do this research, do not rely too heavily on digital resources. Spend time in the stacks. Look at every major article and book review for the last ten + years for the top three or four journals in your field of interest. (You could accomplish this task in a day or two if you're properly powered by caffeine.)

Determine if a fair amount of established scholars worry about the quality of the writing and/or reaching a wider audience. (That is, other academics, if not the general public.) Then, in your statement of purpose, point to this concern and present yourself as part of the solution by saying something along the lines of "I can research AND I can write." Now, your guy's recommendation is much more relevant because it will point to your skills as a writer.

The risk to this approach is that you might come across as a bit aggressive and you might hit a nerve or two on the admissions committees. Also, you may invite extra attention to your writing samples (if you're required to provide them).

HTH.

That makes quite a bit of difference, that you completed an MA in lit. Now it makes more sense to me why you want to ask him.

If you think this writer can speak to how you performed as a lit student overall and how he sees you taking your skills to poli sci, then by all means ask him. But do think about how effectively he can write such a letter, if he's primarily familiar with your prose (not your critical thinking, research, etc.).

If you have doubts as to how well he can speak to skills you can market as transferrable to Poli Sci, ask the other Poli Sci professor (option 3).