Biology PhD Fall 2009 applicants

Astaroth

Erin-

Looks like you have a very strong application. Unlike my shitty GPA, yours complements your GRE scores nicely (well done on verbal, by the way--unfortunately for me I think verbal speaks more than the other two scores do since it stresses formulated interpretation rather than computaton or an articulated, and hence more abstract, interpretation like the quantitative and writing sections). Good luck!

ndufour said:

Why haven't I heard anything from WashU yet? The researchers there are doing such kickass stuff, I'd love to get a chance there...

I'm not going to lie, I was a little surprised by my UW rejection, and I assume I'm waiting on a UChicago rejection as well. It's no big deal or anything, I was just surprised since I got interviews at schools that I thought were more competitive (MIT, Hopkins, Penn, Berkeley...) and have since been accepted to Penn and Hopkins. It's really for the best as I would have been interviewing more, which means missing more time in the lab and pissing my PI off... but still, rejection never feels good! I'm ready for the whole process to wrap up, as fun as interviews are... they're just too tiring.

I earned a double-degree from the University of Maryland College Park (BS in Cell & Molec bio, BA in Philosophy)

GPA: 3.14; last two years 3.4

GRE: 650 V (92 or 93% I forget)/740 Q (82%)/5.5 W (90%)

No undergrad research experience

Post graduation: 2 years of research in astrobiology; attended a conference & workshop & field work; strong recommendation letters

I had no idea how I would fare with my low GPA and lack of undergrad work so I applied to 10 schools, and so far I've had decent results:

I've applied to the cell/molecular/developmental bio programs at:

UVA

Penn State

UMD College Park

UC Davis

UC Santa Barbara

UCSD

UC Irvine

WashU

UC Boulder

Georgia Tech

Accepted: UC Davis (found out first week of Jan)

Rejected: WashU

Interviews: UC Irvine (Jan 29 weekend); Penn State (Feb 13th); UVA (Feb 19-20th); UC Santa Barbara (Feb 26-7)...Also "interviewing"/open house at Davis, March 5-6.

Has anyone heard from UCSD (it's a longshot for me so I'm not expecting much luck)...or from UC Boulder?

I earned a double-degree from the University of Maryland College Park (BS in Cell & Molec bio, BA in Philosophy)

Sorry, I have no clue about any of your schools, but I just wanted to say it was cool to see another Bio person who earned a double degree in Philosophy! Did you have any specific concentrations? Best of luck with your interviews!

The profile of seunghwane is really impressive. No wonder he/she can get so many interviews.

Good luck to astaroth. Try to email individual professors and tell them about your interest in their research directions. It may help a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on acceptances:

I have been accepted to UVA and UC Irvine (waiting to hear about funding but I think they give everyone a general stipend in the 20K+ range).

Interviews at: UM College Park

Still waiting on: UC Boulder, GA Tech, UCSD

i think since no news is scary news.... and if I call departments its "up in the air"

STATS:

Major: Biology; Emph Cell & Molec

GPA: Overall 3.5, BCMP: 3.75 (~17 units a semester-every single semester)

Good mix of recs, although, I wrote 4/9.

GRE: 400v, 650q *note: How are you all getting such high verbal scores... (luck? or shall I read more?)

Undergraduate research:

1 cardiac research lab (stricly volunteer)

2 projects: a. cancer stem cell research b. bioinformatics

Extra curricular:

piano, choir

Work - full time (which I mentioned in my PS)

Post-grad:

1. lab manager/nicotine research with rats (I loved my furry little creatures)

2. industry-support in the development of assays for brain injury/lab manager (current)

Publications: none

Schools:

UCLA (access-micro), USC (PIBBS) USC (MIMG) - (no funding=no admits, waste of my money)

The only school I'm waiting on and have a chance with is: PIBBS -- I will hear the verdict, I hope, after the 13th..

I'm terrified. Now the economy, I'm learning, is having a huge impact on funding and grad admissions. I hope there are enough seats available to accomadate my chances.

good luck! try to contact the schools directly if you are really terrified

Thanks, I have. I have a mentor who put in a good word for me, she is involved in PIBBS. I'm considering, if I don't get in, forwarding my PhD app to the masters program at USC MIMG, and then applying when there is funding.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks, I have. I have a mentor who put in a good word for me, she is involved in PIBBS. I'm considering, if I don't get in, forwarding my PhD app to the masters program at USC MIMG, and then applying when there is funding.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't think it's a bad idea to consider, but don't give up on your apps just yet.

Last year when I applied, I didn't get any interviews until mid march. It was really frustrating and I had started to think about ways I could spend my unintended year off from school. I thought about starting a masters program, retaking some of my exams, or making a strong effort to publish, which I'm sure my boss would have supported.

Sit tight, I hope you still get some interviews. But if you don't I think it's good you're thinking of ways to make yourself a more competative candidate for a PhD program. :) Good Luck!

Update:

applied: umich pibs, uva, upenn, ucsc, ucsf, northwestern, az, einstein, city of hope, washu

accepted: umich, ucsc, einstein, city of hope

declined interview: uva, northwestern, az

interview: ucsf

rejected: upenn, washu

gradcafegirl said:
Update:

applied: umich pibs, uva, upenn, ucsc, ucsf, northwestern, az, einstein, city of hope, washu

accepted: umich, ucsc, einstein, city of hope

declined interview: uva, northwestern, az

interview: ucsf

rejected: upenn, washu

What are your stats?

Mayo reject! Who would have thought I'd be glad to get a rejection? Basically this and the fact that Michigan is meant to be replying this week suggests to me that all the other schools are likely to reply this week as well, which is fantastic. Didn't want to go to Mayo anyway, it doesn't look to me like a good environment to be a grad student. I'm sure it's a fantastic place to set up a lab and do cutting edge research but grad students probably don't have an amazing time there, at least not comparably to a University grad school.

Mayo reject! Who would have thought I'd be glad to get a rejection? Basically this and the fact that Michigan is meant to be replying this week suggests to me that all the other schools are likely to reply this week as well, which is fantastic. Didn't want to go to Mayo anyway, it doesn't look to me like a good environment to be a grad student. I'm sure it's a fantastic place to set up a lab and do cutting edge research but grad students probably don't have an amazing time there, at least not comparably to a University grad school.

So have you decided?

I've got no acceptances yet so there's no decision to be made...

It's weird though, my current project is really going a little TOO well and I'm thinking that if I'm considering my career, the wisest thing to do would be to stay here and finish this thing, at least for another year. It would also make my app stronger so I'd be able to get into the school I want if I re-apply next year. That is of course considering my supervisor has funding for me for a year. I haven't spoken to him yet because if he says he will fund me then I will be really tempted to accept his offer, which makes this whole app season worthless for me.

Right now I think if I got acceptances from UT or UMichigan, I will probably accept them. If it's Brandeis, UVM or UVA I will have a tough time choosing between them and staying here, although I think the prospect of having guaranteed funding for the next 5 years is something I would be stupid to pass on considering the state of the economy.

NY'er

-[*]BS in Biology from a CUNY

-[*]BE in Electrical Engineering from a CUNY

-[*]GPA: 3.61

-[*]General GRE scores: V: 690, Q: 800, AWA: 5.0

-[*]Relevant research experience: 1.5y Innate Immunology

-[*]Teaching experience: 1.5 y as a TA in calc 1-3

Applied to:

-[*]Brown - Molecular, Cellular & Biochemistry

-[*]Cambridge - Biological Science [mphil]

-[*]Cornell - Geneteics & Development

-[*]CUNY GC - Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Biology

-[*]Harvard - Molecular & Cellular Biology

-[*]Imperial - Molecular Cell Biology [mphil]

-[*]NYU - Developmental Biology & Genetics

-[*]Oxford - Biochemistry [mphil]

-[*]Warwick - Biological Science (by research) [msci]

Interviewed at:

-[*]Brown

-[*]Cornell

-[*]CUNY GC

-[*]Harvard

-[*]Oxford

-[*]Warwick

Accepted:

-[*]Warwick

M.I.A:

-[*]NYU (i suspect they rejected me)

Rejected by:

-[*]Cambridge

-[*]Imperial

Got rejected by UMichigan and UVA, and have a phone interview with UVM next week. Frankly I wasn't too excited about Ann Arbor or Charlottesville, so I'm not that bothered by the rejections. Hopefully my UVM interview will go well because I really like both the place and the university, and my interests are really close to the research they do there. Also, there's still UT and Brandeis left to hear back from, and I'm confident they will be replying by the end of this week since all the other schools replied this week.