Question for People Who Took the Revised GRE

orst11

Given that the revised scores don't come out into November 8th for the first group of test takers, I was wondering if this is limiting any of your searches and excluding programs who may have earlier deadlines? Scores do take time to send, so I was really wondering would it be a complete waste of time and money to even apply to programs with a Dec 1st or sooner deadline? I actually have asked ETS this question, but all they sent was scores typically take so many weeks to send. I am convinced they really just want my money and are somewhat avoiding my question.

I personally am not applying to any programs with a deadline before Dec 1, and only have one that has that date, and in that case, it is more of a funding deadline then a hard deadline for the program. But I also for the most part had a good idea of which schools I wanted to apply to before I scheduled my GRE. If I hadn't decided on a large-ish list and knew when the due dates were, I would have probably scheduled my GRE for one of the exams before they changed the whole thing.

What bothers me the most about this whole thing with ETS and the new test, is that they decided to do this at the most inconvenient time, as its the beginning of the application and the problems go into a major application season. It also means that the schools might be having an interesting time in the spring and looking at applications, and trying to figure out what these new scores mean as well.

a lot of schools accept GRE scores somewhat later than the deadline. You have to put in your form the date you took the test or sometimes you are even allowed to put in the date that you are planning to take the test, and send the scores after. Of course in this case you really do not have a chance to retake the test should something go wrong.

Okay, so the scores just have to be postmarked by Dec 1st for those deadlines. I have seen some schools say that there is a deadline of Dec 1 but also note that all materials have to be there within two weeks. Thanks for the responses.

I've just taken the Revised GRE and for me, it isn't affecting my application deadlines (as other posters mentioned, as long as the rest of your application is complete schools should be able to receive your scores as long as you test by early Nov.) but it is affecting my consideration of various programs as I'm not sure how competitive my numbers make me without knowing my actual score yet. It seems very inconvenient that they would change it right at the beginning of the application process.

Okay, so the scores just have to be postmarked by Dec 1st for those deadlines. I have seen some schools say that there is a deadline of Dec 1 but also note that all materials have to be there within two weeks. Thanks for the responses.

I think that it really depends on the program. As long as the programs you are applying to say that it is not important that you test scores get there after the deadline, then that is all that matters .....

Some programs say that they want it all, scores included, by the the deadline, while others don't mind as long as they were sent out by that date.

In the end, I think that when push comes to shove, I think that most of these programs probably won't really be looking at applications until after the holidays anyway. Especially the closer to them that the deadline is. ;)