Vocab for Revised GRE

Xanthe

Can anyone direct me to some good resources for studying vocab for the revised GRE? Barrons has deleted their vocabulary list from their new revised addition so I'm wondering if using the old edition lists for vocab would be sufficient for the revised test?

Edited by Xanthe

Can anyone direct me to some good resources for studying vocab for the revised GRE? Barrons has deleted their vocabulary list from their new revised addition so I'm wondering if using the old edition lists for vocab would be sufficient for the revised test?

The Revised GRE seems to be skewed to be easier for native speakers of English in that is isn't testing you on the third definition of a rarely-used word that's standing alone, but rather asks you to choose the correct word within context (either within a sentence or by looking for another word that shares a meaning). If you're a native speaker of English, I would say that simply increasing the amount you read (fiction, nonfiction, whatever) will be enough to prepare you for the new verbal section. If you're a non-native speaker of English then any vocabulary list will help you to be ready for it by improving your familiarity with the language, you don't need to worry about finding a GRE-specific prep list.

Studying vocal words on their own will not do all that much to help you out, honestly. The test is designed to see if you can determine words in context. I think taking practice tests will be the most help, honestly, and spend time reading high level books or articles. I did purchase Princetons Verbal-specific book for the New GRE (so thats an option for you) but it wasn't that much more helpful than the general GRE book by Kaplan I had.

I have been advising students to focus on learning fewer words more thoroughly for the revised test. Something like Princeton Review's GRE Hit Parade is perfect. Because vocabulary has been deemphasized, if you know the 500 or so most frequently tested vocab words you will be set. The old 3,000 or 5,000 word lists are a waste of time on the new test.

-Doug Groene

http://www.pencilnerd.com

• 2 weeks later...

Rainy-day, et al are probably right concerning the new test format, the emphasis on context, etc, but I have a pdf I made of some of the kaplan study cards, send a pm with your email if interested

Edited by Origin=Goal

I definitely agree with the above posters. I just (successfully) got through the revised GRE without studying vocab at all. I found that going through practice tests was invaluable prep for me, as familiarizing yourself with the test format is half the battle. If you want to pick up the Princeton Review 1,014 Questions book, that might be a good one. It's not THE most accurate score predictor, but it has drills of each concept (for both verbal and quant) you're going to come across, and it's helpful to just practice the types of questions you know you're going to get. (Plus, it's cheaper than most of the other prep books, esp. if you buy it at one of the uber-sales at Borders!)

RIP, Borders. :(

Good luck!