Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I completely agree here. I also had to repeat the cycle. (round 2 was EXPONENTIALLY BETTER than round 1, where I got 1 admit, no funding) - Yes I did some things to boost my competitivness (I fixed a mediocre GRE score), but I am still fundamentally the same person.

If there is a weakness to your app (low GRE, a letter of rec you think might be poor or mediocre etc) then take this year to fix it, otherwise just work on focusing your SOP, and try again. Best of luck, and keep your head up!

Justin

My SOP could have probably been better, but I think the two major factors playing into all these rejections are my low verbal score on the GRE and the fact that I go to a small, liberal arts college with not-so-famous letter writers. Not sure what to do about LORs considering there isn't anyone very well-recognized at my school.

My SOP could have probably been better, but I think the two major factors playing into all these rejections are my low verbal score on the GRE and the fact that I go to a small, liberal arts college with not-so-famous letter writers. Not sure what to do about LORs considering there isn't anyone very well-recognized at my school.

If you go to a MA program, you can build up those LORs with people more known in the field. And if your GRE is a tad low, study and take it again! There is no harm in that!

Basically, do what you can to fix the weak spots that you see, and go for it again next year. As people in this forum have demonstrated, it can have amazing effects!

I believe my cycle is coming to an unfortunate end. =/

I really wanted to start my PhD this fall, but the prospects are looking unlikely. I'm sure Chicago is done with offers; GW and Georgetown, even if they pull through, rarely offer funding - and I clearly cannot afford to do a PhD unfunded; and Washington is also likely done with offers. The Master's are still up in the air, but I can't afford those programs without significant funding. Guess I have to hope for the Fulbright and reapply next season!

Congrats to those who have had a good cycle. Though I am jealous, I am quite certain that all of you are better qualified and deserve your offers of admission. Hopefully I look stronger next season.

I'm in a similar boat as you, as I'm only waiting on programs that have already made offers and have been rejected from the other schools I applied to. Considering just how selective these programs are, you have to think that your decision could've been made on the slightest of details in your statement of purpose and that you, as a whole, were not a poor applicant in the slightest. Barring a micacle on my cycle, I'm probably going to have to re-apply next fall and I think I'm just going to use this time to really edit my statement of purpose, maybe individualize it more to each program, or tweak it to seem more desireable/interesting. Unless you have a noticeable weak point in your application, such as low GREs or bad LORs, that's all one can really do...but I know it really sucks.

I d add the possibility to try to get something you had writtten published. That s what i did in my gap year and got an r&r which gave a great boost to my applicatuion.

Also, i am gonna get off the waitlist at Duke, and probably turn down an offer at mit. Hope that this helps someone out there!

If you go to a MA program, you can build up those LORs with people more known in the field. And if your GRE is a tad low, study and take it again! There is no harm in that!

Basically, do what you can to fix the weak spots that you see, and go for it again next year. As people in this forum have demonstrated, it can have amazing effects!

I guess I was so set on going straight to PhD, that hoping for an MA program seams like defeat. I know that's stupid because I can certainly become stronger with some additional work in the field. I'm definitely taking the GRE again, whether I do Fulbright or Master's. I tested well on all the practice exams, but then get so anxious when I'm actually being timed. I'm actually seeking help to calm down when testing. haha

I'm in a similar boat as you, as I'm only waiting on programs that have already made offers and have been rejected from the other schools I applied to. Considering just how selective these programs are, you have to think that your decision could've been made on the slightest of details in your statement of purpose and that you, as a whole, were not a poor applicant in the slightest. Barring a micacle on my cycle, I'm probably going to have to re-apply next fall and I think I'm just going to use this time to really edit my statement of purpose, maybe individualize it more to each program, or tweak it to seem more desireable/interesting. Unless you have a noticeable weak point in your application, such as low GREs or bad LORs, that's all one can really do...but I know it really sucks.

It's nice to know I'm not alone, but I'm sorry to hear the cycle isn't going well for you either. I hope you hear positive news in the coming weeks, but if not, know that you won't be alone in working on a stronger application for next season. Best of luck!

I d add the possibility to try to get something you had writtten published. That s what i did in my gap year and got an r&r which gave a great boost to my applicatuion.

Well that's another good point. Even if I don't get something published, I know my writing sample will be much stronger next season because my honors thesis will be complete and better structured.

I am not sure whether anyone can help me call GWU whether they have done offers or not.

Why don't you call yourself? It won't cost a fortune, especially if you use Skype.

For everyone in a GWU without funding, I just want to let you know that some just opened up. I declined their offer, so that should help one of you (at least I hope so!)

If you were curious, it was a TAship that covered tuition plus provided a $20,000/yr stipend for 5 years plus health insurance.

It doesn't strike me as the best deal, as I'd expect DC to be an expensive place to live.

Anyone hear anything else from Brown? I saw one acceptance, my application status has yet to change...

I haven't seen anything from Brown on my end either; That one acceptance went out last Thursday, so I'd assume that we'll hear something soon. The rest of us are probably still jockeying for position in the applications stack.

I would say absolutely try to fix the GRE if you can. (Programs sometimes have unofficial cutoffs like: should score over 700 on both sections, scores over 1350 total are competitive etc). The LOR's shouldnt be an issue as long as they are strong. I'm pretty sure one of my writers hasn't published a paper in 30 years. The letter is really about content. I think that a glowing letter from No_Name_Prof is 10x better than a mediocre letter from Famous_Prof. Are your professors willing to share the gist of what they wrote? A useful phrase I picked up when asking a professor to write was "Professor X, I am [applying / reapplying] this year to graduate programs in political science. We had classes X, Y and Z together and I feel like you can accurately portray the quality of my work. Do you feel you could write me a STRONG letter of rec?" I used this approach because I've heard horror stories about professors agreeing to write LORs for students, and then ripping them apart. Of course, most profs who don't like you / your work / whatever will politely demure, telling you that you might be better served asking someone else.

Edit: Don't downplay the role of the SOP either. There has been some discussion about how much fit really matters, but I'm on the side of it counting for a ton. I punched a bit above my weight where I could show fit, and got shot down at lower ranked schools where I couldn't. Flat out rejection from UMass, probable rejection from Maryland and Syracuse... admits with funding at Rochester and Madison. Make sure your SOP clearly states what you want to do, and addresses why school X is the right place for it. (It certainly can't hurt)

Edited by Jwnich1

I would say absolutely try to fix the GRE if you can. (Programs sometimes have unofficial cutoffs like: should score over 700 on both sections, scores over 1350 total are competitive etc). The LOR's shouldnt be an issue as long as they are strong. I'm pretty sure one of my writers hasn't published a paper in 30 years. The letter is really about content. I think that a glowing letter from No_Name_Prof is 10x better than a mediocre letter from Famous_Prof. Are your professors willing to share the gist of what they wrote? A useful phrase I picked up when asking a professor to write was "Professor X, I am [applying / reapplying] this year to graduate programs in political science. We had classes X, Y and Z together and I feel like you can accurately portray the quality of my work. Do you feel you could write me a STRONG letter of rec?" I used this approach because I've heard horror stories about professors agreeing to write LORs for students, and then ripping them apart. Of course, most profs who don't like you / your work / whatever will politely demure, telling you that you might be better served asking someone else.

Edit: Don't downplay the role of the SOP either. There has been some discussion about how much fit really matters, but I'm on the side of it counting for a ton. I punched a bit above my weight where I could show fit, and got shot down at lower ranked schools where I couldn't. Flat out rejection from UMass, probable rejection from Maryland and Syracuse... admits with funding at Rochester and Madison. Make sure your SOP clearly states what you want to do, and addresses why school X is the right place for it. (It certainly can't hurt)

Yeah, I know I really need to work on the GRE. I took it twice and didn't have time to take it again before application deadlines. I got above 700 in Quantitative, but verbal definitely needs some work. I was just hoping for the best because there was nothing else I could do at that point.

My LORs are very strong, I'm sure. All of the professors were ones I'm very close with. I've taken lots of classes with them, talked a lot outside of class, traveled out of the country with two, etc. I know they weren't in the slightest bit weak, aside from considering that they aren't well-known probably. The only LOR writer I would think might have been even slightly critical was one that told me he would write me letters if I wanted. I figure he wouldn't have offered if he was going to write bad letters.

I think I definitely made it clear what I want to do, but perhaps wasn't elaborate enough. I think I could have done a better job catering it to specific schools and spent less time talking about what I've done. I don't know. I can definitely make a better SOP next time.

Edited by CairoKid

I think I could have done a better job catering it to specific schools and spent less time talking about what I've done.

This is a really good idea! Something I heard a lot on my first couple of SOP drafts was that I talked too much about what I've ALREADY done and not enough about what I want/plan to do. One advisor told me "They have your vita. They know what you've done. You get one paragraph."

That may have been a bit strict, but I think the idea of "promise" in an SOP can really sway an adcom. And by trying to explain what your future work might look like, you are showing them exactly what they're going to invest $350,000+ in.

I see there was a wave of Columbia rejections and acceptances around Feb. 18-22, any idea what's going on for those of us still waiting? Are they doing rejections in waves, or is there a WL of sorts?

I think they have already sent out their acceptances and waitlists - I think, although I have no information to back this up, that they are looking at the people who requested to have their applications automatically forwarded to the MA program if they did not get into the PhD program. But I really don't know, and I would have thought that they would have sent out letters saying "You didn't get into the PhD program, so we've forwarded you on to the MA program" already. So - I have no useful information for you :)

This is a really good idea! Something I heard a lot on my first couple of SOP drafts was that I talked too much about what I've ALREADY done and not enough about what I want/plan to do. One advisor told me "They have your vita. They know what you've done. You get one paragraph."

That may have been a bit strict, but I think the idea of "promise" in an SOP can really sway an adcom. And by trying to explain what your future work might look like, you are showing them exactly what they're going to invest $350,000+ in.

Makes perfect sense. I'm so glad I have such wonderful people to help me out. I would have been completely clueless if I hadn't consulted the forums. =)

I absolutely agree. I think a lot of people spend more time explaining why they are qualified than they do why they will be a good investment. They want to know that you can do the coursework and have the stamina to write the dissertation, of course, but they also want to know if people will look at your career down the road and say, "Aha - he went to University X. They must be great." I think that demonstrating that you will do interesting things, have ambition, and are highly self-motivated can only help, and that your SOP should really reflect your PURPOSE in applying to graduate programs (why do you want to get a PhD and what do you intend to do with it) rather than your QUALIFICATIONS alone. Qualifications are extremely important, though, and if your transcript and GRE scores don't necessarily reflect what you think makes you qualified, you need to spend time coaching your letter writers (take them through your CV, show them your writing sample, explain what interests you about the programs you're applying to, and have them help you with your SOP) and summarizing your qualifications in your SOP.

Makes perfect sense. I'm so glad I have such wonderful people to help me out. I would have been completely clueless if I hadn't consulted the forums. =)

For what it's worth, I'd be happy to look at your SOP either now or before you reapply. I'm far from an expert, but I've got a couple cycles behind me now and I'm another pair of eyes. PM me if you're interested.

I'm glad you're not giving up. Second time is a charm for lots of people. I wish you the absoulute best.

Justin

if your transcript and GRE scores don't necessarily reflect what you think makes you qualified, you need to spend time

This is important too, I will add. (I for example, took 6 months off of school this year...that would look bad to an admission committee.) So I took a paragraph in my SOP to explain that had a medical issue that necessitated that I take a leave of absence but that would return to undergrad and finish in the Spring.

In addition, I told my letter writers exactly what was up so that they could address it in the letters as well.

So in that instance, I really think that I turned a negative (stopping school for a couple of months) into a positive (I'm determined to get through whatever and exceptionally dedicated to this academic career).

[As an endnote, I'm completely fine now :) ]

For what it's worth, I'd be happy to look at your SOP either now or before you reapply. I'm far from an expert, but I've got a couple cycles behind me now and I'm another pair of eyes. PM me if you're interested. I'm glad you're not giving up. Second time is a charm for lots of people. I wish you the absoulute best. Justin

Thanks for the offer! I do regret not having more people look over my SOP. I'll wait until my cycle ends for sure, and then I'll likely PM you to get some advice. Of course, my SOP will change in some ways to account for anything relevant I do next year. But my interests will remain largely the same, so I would be glad to receive some advice in that regard.

[As an endnote, I'm completely fine now :) ]

Glad to hear you're better. And I'd say you did a very good job turning a negative into a positive, considering the options you have!

I think they have already sent out their acceptances and waitlists - I think, although I have no information to back this up, that they are looking at the people who requested to have their applications automatically forwarded to the MA program if they did not get into the PhD program. But I really don't know, and I would have thought that they would have sent out letters saying "You didn't get into the PhD program, so we've forwarded you on to the MA program" already. So - I have no useful information for you :)

That's really weird. I guess they've just lost my application or something? Or maybe they forwarded it to my second choice department and won't notify me until the end. Who knows...

For everyone in a GWU without funding, I just want to let you know that some just opened up. I declined their offer, so that should help one of you (at least I hope so!)

If you were curious, it was a TAship that covered tuition plus provided a $20,000/yr stipend for 5 years plus health insurance.

Thanks! However, I'm probably going to decline GWU. Aubrey, I think I noted somewhere that you went to NU. As NU and GWU are my only two offers so far, I'd venture so say that NU is the stronger program overall and considering the fact that I got funding from NU, it seems like the better pick. If you know anything about the program at NU's strengths, that would also be helpful.

Without funding, I'm wouldn't consider GWU as DC is an expensive city. I did my undergrad in GWU and I don't really feel justified paying them more. GWU is a pretty good program, up and coming, especially in IR as they managed to hire some new professors from better schools in the last few years. Still, overall, I believe NU is better though possibly not in IR. Having lived in DC for four years, it is an excellent city but a change of scenery (Chicago) might not be a bad idea. Though I'll probably think otherwise during the winter.

That's really weird. I guess they've just lost my application or something? Or maybe they forwarded it to my second choice department and won't notify me until the end. Who knows...

I'm waiting, too, so I'm just going to call them. The stakes are not particularly high for me, so I'll let you know what they say.

Okay - big news! Columbia HAS NOT sent out all their acceptances. I just spoke with the woman who puts together the admissions folders for the political science department, and she said that not everyone who has been accepted has been notified yet. All notifications will be made by the end of this week.

Things are definitely pretty crazy this year... both Berkeley and Columbia sending out trickles of acceptances, a wave of rejections, and apparently instead of having waitlists, just holding a group of applicants till the last minute. Maybe they'll have waitlists, too. Weird.

EDIT: I think the woman I spoke to was mistaken, and that in fact they had notified all accepted students. Can't be sure though. I'm guessing everyone will hear soon.

Edited by saltlakecity2012