Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Got a phone call saying I'm on the "long, short list" at a school in the pacific northwest, a similar situation to what people have described the Brown process so far. I have 3 other offers in hand but this school I got the phone call from is my top choice. Did mention I had other offers in phone call but would easily be swayed by the offer they described.

Already sent in an e-mail a couple days ago thanking them for their time on the phone. However, what kind of advice can you give regarding e-mailing these people to a) let them know that I want to go there and would accept if offered without B) seeming like a crazy person or should I c) just be patient and do not e-mail so that I do not show part b.

Please tell me it's not UW Seattle! I want to hear from them...

Did everyone getting accepted to all these wonderful schools have a background in Stats/Quant Methods/Research Methods/etc.?? I wonder if that's part of what's holding me back.

Did everyone getting accepted to all these wonderful schools have a background in Stats/Quant Methods/Research Methods/etc.?? I wonder if that's part of what's holding me back.

Not in particular, but then I do Theory.

I am comparative/IR, and I have zero Stats/Quant Methods/Research Methods background. But then, I suspect that was part of the reason I was rejected by most of the places I applied to.

Edited by Overtherainbow

Comparative people, then. Is it necessary to have that background prior to a PhD?

I only had one math course, and one stats course when I applied. But then, I get into mostly lower ranked schools. Also, I had a 750 on the quantitative section of the GRE, and come from a pretty tech-heavy background. (I am not sure if that last part helped, but ad coms might have reasoned that if I can program in Python, I can probably handle R.)

Comparative people, then. Is it necessary to have that background prior to a PhD?

Sure, having a quant/formal methods background is important. I don't think that having a quant-weak background is a red flag but knowing R/STATA, having taken some higher level quant classes, a strong GRE Q score, and even some data management experience may help you stand out from the crowd of 3.8+, Phi Beta Kappa, Honours etc. applicants out there.

I don't have any background in that. I did, however, take a math course entitled "The History and Philosophy of Mathematics." I've never taken statistics before, but I have taken a boatload of theory and graduate-level classes and indicated that I am eager to have at least some basic quant/methods training in graduate school. It's possible that if I had taken a statistics class I might be in at other places as well. All that to say that I'm not sure that it really matters.

Ah, thanks for your input, everyone. I've just seen a lot of talk of these research methods courses and work in quant methods/stats. I took Calc freshman year, plus micro and macroeconomics. But I have no research methods courses or math courses beyond that. Wasn't sure how much that mattered. I did get a 720Q on the GRE, so I'm obviously not completely lacking in quant abilities. Should I take any of these courses before I reapply (if that ends up being the case)?

Edit: Or just make it more explicit of my intentions to explore training in those fields once in grad school, as ohsnap mentioned?

Edited by CairoKid

Ah, thanks for your input, everyone. I've just seen a lot of talk of these research methods courses and work in quant methods/stats. I took Calc freshman year, plus micro and macroeconomics. But I have no research methods courses or math courses beyond that. Wasn't sure how much that mattered. I did get a 720Q on the GRE, so I'm obviously not completely lacking in quant abilities. Should I take any of these courses before I reapply (if that ends up being the case)?

Edit: Or just make it more explicit of my intentions to explore training in those fields once in grad school, as ohsnap mentioned?

Doesn't this sort of depend on the work you want to do? If you are applying for formal work, then yes, a 720Q and scant quant experience will be huge red flags. But if not, then I don't see why it would disadvantage you so long as your POIs and your personal statement have an explicitly qualitative focus.

I'm a comparativist and I did only a year of intro stats. For someone who hasn't touched the stuff in 5 years, I'm actually pretty good at math/stats (I did multivariate calc at a local college when I was in high school) - but I applied to work with quals, at qual-heavy schools, because that's the research I want to do. So there's certainly no need to go tech up in statistical and formal modeling before applying for CP.

Edited by balderdash

I brought in AP Stats credit but never took any straight-up math courses during my time as an undergrad (though I wish I had). No econ, no nothin'. Was going to audit econometrics, but my schedule was too packed. That said, my thesis, which was accepted for a panel discussion at a national conference, was based around an fsQCA analysis, which combines quantitative and qualitative methods (see the work of Charles Ragin). I worked one-on-one with a professor to learn everything about fsQCA in order to effectively use it. So, what I had in "methods training" wasn't formal or exclusively quantitative. Then again, I didn't get into a number of schools that are known for their quant-heavy approaches.

I have to say I don't think it matters THAT much. I haven't taken MATH since high school (a couple of semesters of calc). 1 qual methods Poli Sci class and a basic stats class in undergrad. That's it.

I would say that a high GRE score is a least a partial signal. I don't think my relatively small math/stats/quant background held me back. and I study media, which is a giant large-N data set. I even said in my SOP that I wanted to do multi-method work.

Edited: for accidentally calling my SOP a POS...Freudian slip?

Edited by adblanche

I took stats as an undergrad and after graduating I took courses in calc and linear algeba. At most of the schools I got into the faculty most interested in my application did quant oriented work and I think they were a big reason for my admission into several programs.

A few pages back, I complained (sorry!) about a review of a terrible book that I'm struggling to write. I just thought some people might get a laugh out of two sentences whose inclusion I'm seriously debating:

"Rarely are such large hats hung on pegs so small." Also: "It is only with difficulty that the reader is able to find space for [book] in the scholarly debate."

(Not to be a jerk... but seriously, it's horrid.)

Ah, the beginning of another week. Anyone else feel that the nervous excitement/dread of the early cycle has been replaced by a feeling which is completely different to that of before, yet still full of nervous excitement/dread?

I suspect Harvard has made all of their offers given that I was told the exact number that they were making (27) and I think someone claimed a wait list at the same time

He's the man with the name you'd love to touch ...but you musn't touch!

I suspect changing your name (presumably you have done so in real life as well as on gradcafe) will be the single greatest positive factor behind your future success in your Ph.D program.

I suspect Harvard has made all of their offers given that I was told the exact number that they were making (27) and I think someone claimed a wait list at the same time

From looking at past cycles, Harvard seems to make their acceptances and have a very short waitlist. If they don't reach their numbers from that pile, they will then take a second look at the rejected applications and accept/waitlist them. This happened in 2010 if you go back in the results surveys.

He's the man with the name you'd love to touch ...but you musn't touch!

I suspect changing your name (presumably you have done so in real life as well as on gradcafe) will be the single greatest positive factor behind your future success in your Ph.D program.

Thanks. I got it off a hair dryer.

I am a long time lurker. Reading through conservations of you folks and feeling your joy with acceptances and disappointment with rejections have become an integral part of my daily life since January and really made the waiting game much easier. Already feel like I know many of you!

I wanted to ask a possibly inappropriate question -- is there anyone who has been admitted to U Penn on Comparative and is going to decline their offer? I know admits will and should take their time making their decisions, so there is no pressure or hurry. But if someone decides to be nice and share their inclinations, it would be very helpful in knowing my chances of getting into UPenn, which is my top choice, and making back-up plans.

Thanks!

Realized it came out on a tiny little font.. Here it is again!

I am a long time lurker. Reading through conservations of you folks and feeling your joy with acceptances and disappointment with rejections have become an integral part of my daily life since January and really made the waiting game much easier. Already feel like I know many of you!

I wanted to ask a possibly inappropriate question -- is there anyone who has been admitted to U Penn on Comparative and is going to decline their offer? I know admits will and should take their time making their decisions, so there is no pressure or hurry. But if someone decides to be nice and share their inclinations, it would be very helpful in knowing my chances of getting into UPenn, which is my top choice, and making back-up plans.

Thanks!

Any info on GWU or Georgetown offers - I know some decisions are posted on the results board but it seems like a small group? In particular, any guesses on if either program will make admit/ funded or admit/ unfunded offers this week? Also, is Harvard sending rejections via postal mail? Many thanks.