Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I applied to U Mich but wasn't part of the wave of rejections. I haven't had any communication from them yet, actually. Any ideas what that might mean? So far I haven't heard jack from UCLA, Duke, or U Mich. I'm starting to wonder if I hallucinated submitting my applications...

Edit: for those rejected from U Mich - does it show your new app status on your UM Friend account page?

I also haven't heard anything.

I also haven't heard anything.

I applied to U Mich but wasn't part of the wave of rejections. I haven't had any communication from them yet, actually. Any ideas what that might mean? So far I haven't heard jack from UCLA, Duke, or U Mich. I'm starting to wonder if I hallucinated submitting my applications...

Edit: for those rejected from U Mich - does it show your new app status on your UM Friend account page?

Nothing on the Wolverine page changed. I hope that, if you weren't rejected, it means you'll be getting accepted. Fingers crossed!

Nothing on the Wolverine page changed. I hope that, if you weren't rejected, it means you'll be getting accepted. Fingers crossed!

If that's true (which I highly doubt) we have some extremely strong evidence that stats are not weighted so strongly in their admissions process at least.

If that's true (which I highly doubt) we have some extremely strong evidence that stats are not weighted so strongly in their admissions process at least.

I mean more than likely the people that apply to Michigan self-select so everyone will have a high gpa and gre. It all comes down to rec letters and the sop.

I mean more than likely the people that apply to Michigan self-select so everyone will have a high gpa and gre. It all comes down to rec letters and the sop.

Except that my GPA isn't that strong, certainly much less than many of those in the massive cull. In any event, I don't think we have enough information to make any inferences at this point; I just wish I could find my U-M ID so I could event log in to the website to check status, even if I know it won't say anything.

Congrats to everyone getting in.

I can add my name to the ranks of Michigan rejectees. No shame there, I suppose.

It looks like there've been a lot UCLA acceptences...anyone have late-breaking news on that front?

so many people claiming acceptances (and unfortunate rejections!) already.......none of my dozen schools have a claimant yet.......

I'm with you there. According to the Results Survey, the earliest I could expect to hear anything would be late next week. I don't know if my nerves can hold on that long.

Can we assume that all Stanford acceptances are out so that I can stop worrying about it?

No. Chill. There's only been one acceptance, and apparently under extraordinary (possibly fake) circumstances. A phone call from a POI is not the way Stanford does acceptances. The admits go out all at once, and you'll see 7 or so of them posted the day it happens. This might be today at 5:00 Pacific time, since it would be the same as last year (3.5 weeks after their term began, on a Thursday). If you're not among that lot, only then can you assume you've been rejected.

So i'm a current Stanford student. You guys are stressing me out and i'm already here, try to relax! Just wanted to clarify, people usually DO get phone calls from POI followed emails which are more administrative in nature. The only reason this wouldn't happen is if you miss your phone call or are international or something. One thought about why things might be slower than usual: Chandelle is out on maternity leave, she is the woman who usually handles lots of stuff related to grad admission/admit weekend. Also our quarter started a week later than the year before. I have no idea whether that acceptance is real or not, not on the adcomm.

Has anyone heard of someone being accepted to U Mich this year? I can't imagine they're sending out rejections before sending out acceptances, but so far there are no acceptances posted, tons of rejections, and then there are a couple of us who haven't heard anything.

I just saw a few more rejections go up - did people just get those emails now, or were they sent around 11am like an earlier poster on the results survey mentioned?

My rejection was the 11:00am version.

I have no expertise whatsoever, but I sort of get the impression no news is good news re. Michigan.

Thanks for the info. Man, everything's going haywire this year! Duke acceptances spread out over 3 days, UCLA over 4, and no acceptances to Michigan posted before all the rejections. And of course Stanford lagging behind.

I agree with Tallow, though. I'm getting the impression that rejections were sent out at 11:00. No news, at this point, probably means you're a finalist, if not admitted.

One of my letter writers spoke with me yesterday about the first-cut strategy, saying that sometimes programs hack off the bottom 90 percent and send out letters, then pour over the remaining apps to decide whom to admit/waitlist/reject from the narrowed pool. Something tells me I, and my compatriots in this morning's bloodbath, were rejected in the first-cut. That you weren't is bound to be a good sign.