Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Awesome! Istanbul is super fun. Which 'stans? I'm envious, I would love to be traveling right now!

1# I also want to know which 'Stan. Just got back from Tajikistan a few months ago...incredibly interesting and beautiful.

2: For anyone still waiting, Duke says they still haven't sent out the majority of their acceptances. (Gives me hope, but I thought I'd add a bit of joy to everyone's weekend.)

1# I also want to know which 'Stan. Just got back from Tajikistan a few months ago...incredibly interesting and beautiful.

2: For anyone still waiting, Duke says they still haven't sent out the majority of their acceptances. (Gives me hope, but I thought I'd add a bit of joy to everyone's weekend.)

Tajikistan is awesome - were you just in Dushanbe, or did you get into the countryside at all? Also thanks for the heads up on Duke!

Edit: Secret Squirrel - looks like you were right on the money re: who we'd hear from this week. Maybe you can make some extra cash while in grad school moonlighting as a psychic?

And huge congratulations to the Berkeley acceptance - fingers crossed for all the rest of us!

Edited by tergellian

Duke's rejection letter is up on applyyourself for me (I did not receive an e-mail.) On an odder note, I received an e-mail from a POI at UCLA that implied I had been admitted and asked to set up a time to speak over the phone, but still haven't heard anything officially from UCLA about either admission or funding. Not sure exactly how to interpret it!

Duke's rejection letter is up on applyyourself for me (I did not receive an e-mail.) On an odder note, I received an e-mail from a POI at UCLA that implied I had been admitted and asked to set up a time to speak over the phone, but still haven't heard anything officially from UCLA about either admission or funding. Not sure exactly how to interpret it!

Was it Thies?

And where on ApplyYourself is the letter? I logged in but I can't see anything new.

Edited by tergellian

Mine isn't yet. I'm still holding out hope! And good luck with UCLA!!!

@tergellian I was in Dushanbe primarily, but I also spent some time in Khojand. (And 3 hours in Samarkand, Uzbekistan due to some bad weather on the way in.)

I was living across the street from Parliament for a couple of months, so that was definitely an experience to tell the kids about...you know. Someday.

It was kind of hidden at the bottom. I didn't notice it at first.

Was it on the main page (where it shows the list of recommenders) or did you have to get into the application for admissions?

Thanks, it's good to still have some hope.

Congrats to the people accepted into Berkely!

Whoever posted that Berkeley admission got my heart racing like crazy. Congrats on the admission, but I'm fearing mine will be a rejection if I haven't heard yet.

Only 1 seems like it would be a fake. Kinda like that Stanford one. Most of the time is seems they come in bunches, like Duke, UCLA, and Michigan the last few days.

Any news about Vanderbilt? As someone who was not invited for a phone chat, I am curious if anyone spoke to their POIs and if there is a timeline for decisions.

I've heard conflicting messages. A POI told me that, in the past, interviews were not mandatory for admission. Saw a note from a current applicant that his/her POI indicated that all finalists were going to be interviewed. I don't think there's any more recent news than that. Personally, I'll assume that the latest information (the current applicant) is closer to the truth.

Only 1 seems like it would be a fake. Kinda like that Stanford one. Most of the time is seems they come in bunches, like Duke, UCLA, and Michigan the last few days.

I agree with you from a rational point of view, but when I am in a frantic anticipatory mode I tend not to be that levelheaded.

I've heard conflicting messages. A POI told me that, in the past, interviews were not mandatory for admission. Saw a note from a current applicant that his/her POI indicated that all finalists were going to be interviewed. I don't think there's any more recent news than that. Personally, I'll assume that the latest information (the current applicant) is closer to the truth.

Thanks. Vandy's not my number 1, but I was a bit bummed, thought I had a nice fit with a few profs in the dept. Oh, well, maybe after some of the varsity players decide Vandy is a backup it will open some openings for the JVs.

Thanks. Vandy's not my number 1, but I was a bit bummed, thought I had a nice fit with a few profs in the dept. Oh, well, maybe after some of the varsity players decide Vandy is a backup it will open some openings for the JVs.

LOL. I wonder if I'll even make the JV squad.

Just received offer from UCLA with full funding, with a note that they meant to send me an e-mail earlier and I was somehow missed.

Congrats again and to everyone who has recieved admittances this week, I know you will do great work.