I'm preparing for my second round of applications for Literature Ph.D. positions in the field of Modernism. Last time, my writing sample was a lightly edited version of a well-received paper I'd written on Virginia Woolf. This year, I'd been planning to compose a new paper on Woolf: she's far and away the writer I'm most grounded in, but my old papers tended to rely far more heavily on close readings than theoretical framework. I expect (though correct me if I'm wrong!) that a solid theoretical grounding is one of the most important things to demonstrate in the writing sample, so am happy to write a largely fresh paper. Starting to look into the Woolf criticism, though, my ideas seem insufficiently different from a lot of the extant thought, and with such a major author, that seems to be true about any of the really sound ideas I could develop.

So would it be better to scrap the Woolf paper, and write on an author who I'm less familiar with, but would be a fresher voice upon? Or should I write the paper that would be well-developed and reflective of my most knowledgeable area, but which represents a rather stale critical voice?

I appreciate any opinions offered!

Edited by sentientcabbage

I'd say, if Woolf is really the author you're primarily interested in, writing a paper on Woolf is the best way to go, unless you have a secondary interest you're equally interested in exploring. Additionally, you might think about a paper comparing one of Woolf's works to one of your secondary interests, to do something a bit different but still staying with your primary interest in Woolf. While your ideas might seem pretty similar to those in a lot of the criticism you're reading, you may just find that once you start thinking a bit outside the box, you'll find something really interesting! Try reading through some of her letters or essays, and find something that sparks your interest.

I definitely think you want to exhibit a solid grounding in both theoretical approaches as well as close reading. However, I don't think ad-coms are going to necessarily be looking for an astoundingly new or original argument. Obviously, they're not going to be impressed by a paper that is fundamentally a summary of the existing Woolf scholarship, but they're also not going to require you to radically revolutionize the field, either. :)

As you state, the paper you used last year was a "lightly edited version of a well-received paper." Perhaps all you really need is some "heavy" editing, so to speak. I'm using a well-received paper for my writing sample, one which one a departmental award and that I'll be presenting at a conference this fall. I figured it would need some minor editing and tweaking in order to be ready come December. I didn't look at it for a few months, and when I did, I realized a LOT of edits were necessary. Maybe giving your old paper a second look will provide you with new angles in which to take it. I know it did for me.

Good luck!

That seems like really sound advice, bdon19 - thanks for the perspective! Heavy editing is a given for any paper I decide to use this year; the sanguinity of the last attempt's been replaced by a rather furious work ethic. On reflection, dropping my area of greatest expertise in favor of greater freshness seems like an unwise exchange, and I imagine that anxiety has overblown fears of my paper's sterility somewhat. Assuming some refinement in the final draft, this concern should be fairly low down on the list haha.

Thanks again! I hope your conference (and the coming months in general) treat you well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have sort of a related question about the writing sample. I can't decide if I should use part of my Master's thesis, or go with something I am working. My two primary areas of interest are trauma studies and ethnic lit. I didn't become interested in the combination of the two until after I was half way through my thesis, so if I use part of it as my writing sample, it won't fully demonstrate what I am saying my area of interest is. However, it's obviously my best writing because it went through a year of edits. My other option is a paper I wrote for a latino/a lit class (while I was working on my thesis), that was loosely based in trauma studies that I did well on, and I later added a bit more of the trauma theory to it and presented it at a conference. I feel that that paper, if I expanded it, aligns more closely with what I am saying I want to do, but I guess I'm just nervous because it has not been worked on or as edited as much as my thesis has.

Sorry if this is long and confusing, I'm just trying to get my thoughts out. I guess, in short, should I stick with my thesis that is kind of related to my current interests, or go with something new I've been working on that is directly related with what I would like to do if I get accepted somewhere.

Timshel, I would probably go with the trauma theory piece. From my experience, I switched from my MA thesis to a paper I wrote in my last quarter of MA work and was MUCH more successful. Yes, the thesis gets a year of edit's, but you're wrestling with work that started out in a different place from where you are at the end of your program (I did anyway). I found that working with a different piece was also good because I wasn't . . .bored with it. You spend so much time with the MA thesis that putting a lot of energy into revising and editing (again!) can be daunting, but working with a less familiar piece makes the revising and editing more fun and, as a result, innovative (in my opinion). Best of luck!

Timshel, I would probably go with the trauma theory piece. From my experience, I switched from my MA thesis to a paper I wrote in my last quarter of MA work and was MUCH more successful. Yes, the thesis gets a year of edit's, but you're wrestling with work that started out in a different place from where you are at the end of your program (I did anyway). I found that working with a different piece was also good because I wasn't . . .bored with it. You spend so much time with the MA thesis that putting a lot of energy into revising and editing (again!) can be daunting, but working with a less familiar piece makes the revising and editing more fun and, as a result, innovative (in my opinion). Best of luck!

I think that's a really good point. I don't think I could edit any part of my thesis again. Ugh. It's too soon to look at it again. LOL

I'm using one chapter of my thesis. However, this was the paper I sent as my writing sample last year. It started as a paper I wrote for a Caribbean lit course, edited to crap to send in for my writing sample, while I was using it as the paper I expanded on to write my thesis. Since it is a chapter from the thesis, I'm going to have to rework the intro and conclusion, but I think it is my best choice for writing sample.

Edited by lolopixie

I mean, I could use a chapter from my thesis, but my interests have changed a little. My thesis was on trauma theory is 9/11 literature, and now I'm more interested in trauma theory in ethnic literature. Like I said, I have a paper from a latino/a lit class where I used trauma theory a little, and then later added more for a conference paper, that I think I could expand on to make my writing sample. It just makes me nervous that it's not something that has been officially "graded" or looked over like a thesis.

It may be easier for you to use a chapter from your thesis. You don't necessarily have to send in a writing sample that is exactly what you are planning to study. It is related, so you wouldn't be sending in something totally obscure (like a Poe paper when you say you want to study 21st century diasporic). If you are up for the challenge of expanding on the latino/a paper, then you would have something more "rooted" in your focus, but would you be compromising quality? If you are confident you can expand it and have the quality mirror that of your thesis sample, then I would do that. But if you have doubts about being able to have enough time to expand, you may be better off going with the thesis. You could always somehow tie it into your SOP to address te transition of trauma study interest in your research.