Don't know a 3rd letter writer, can I ask one of my readers?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

I am wrapping up my M.A. and plan on applying for my PhD. Problem is my M.A. program is very small (a cohort of under 10), and class offerings are usually by the same 3-4 professors.

Fast forward to application season and some schools are asking me for 3 letters. I can produce 2 no problem: one my supervisor and the other a professor who I took a directed readings with and did very well. I know both will write great letters.

Who do I ask for the third? I haven't taken any coursework from other profs in my department besides a required methodology course that is run by the same prof. every year for the past four thousand years. This prof is very, ahem, "particular" and doesn't quite understand my research interests. I don't have a grasp of where I stand with he/she. Basically I am uncomfortable asking this person.

Can I ask the third reader of my thesis who is outside of my department, and who I don't know very well, although their research interests intersect very closely with mine. If they enjoy my project (which I should know within the next few days), would it be appropriate to ask this person to by my 3rd writer?

Thanks.

I would say absolutely. They may not have had you in a class, but they've had a lot closer interaction with your work through your thesis- and that's a much more important thing to be able to attest to for a letter writer, imo.

You've got a few months before the apps have to be in. Use it to court the professor. Stop in during office hours, ask him/her out to coffee for help on something else (ie an article or review you're writing), and then eventually ask for the letter. Of course, leave enough time for the letter before the deadline, but you can get a better personal/professional relationship with the professor by then.

Thank you both. I'm not really sure if "courting" the professor is something I would like to do. Also, this person is on sabbatical and is not on campus (I think out of the country) so it's not really possible to see them in person. :unsure:

what about your undergrad? I had two recs from professors from my MA program and one from my undergrad. I had more than two profs at my grad school from whom I could have asked a recommendations from (it was a bigger program) actually I intentionally chose this undergrad prof to have someone write about me from a different perspective.

what about your undergrad? I had two recs from professors from my MA program and one from my undergrad. I had more than two profs at my grad school from whom I could have asked a recommendations from (it was a bigger program) actually I intentionally chose this undergrad prof to have someone write about me from a different perspective.

I could ask someone from my undergrad but I would prefer to have someone who can assess my work at a graduate level.

^ well you will have two rec letters from your MA program. it is probably better to have an undergrad prof who knows you well as a letter writer than someone who does not know you very well. But of course you know how you have connected with all the professors around you.

Edited by kalapocska