my chances of getting into a CS PhD/ MS(research)

mcool

first something about me..

i am currently a final year CS student finishing degree by September/Oct 2012. So i am targeting the fall 2013. I want to do a PhD but a research MS WITH FUNDING would be ok as well.

current GPA (non US) - 3.85 (outa 4.25 so after converting all A+'s which are 4.25 in to 4, I get my GPA as somewhere around 3.75)

ranked in the 94th percentile of the batch.

2 conference (international) and 1 journal (local) papers. (out of 3 , 2 are survey papers)

LORs would be unknown

What are my chances of getting in to a one of following UC schools if my GRE score is

1290 (790Q, 500V, 3.5AW) ?.

University list in decreasing precedence.

-CalTech

-UCLA

-UCSD

-USC

-UCI

-UCSB

-UCD

Thanks in advance!

I can only speak for PhD admissions.

Are the international conferences good? Local journals don't count, and survey papers don't count as research either. Since you didn't talk about your research experience, I am assuming you have none outside of this.

Nobody really cares about your GRE or your GPA unless they suck ass; you're fine.

What do your recommenders think about you? If all you did under them was take classes and write survey papers, they won't be too strong.

If I am right, then I'd say you won't get into Caltech, UCLA, UCSD, or USC, and have a fighting chance at the others. Why all California schools?

Good luck!

Edited by OH YEAH

Hi,

im not sure whether they are good or bad (3x% range acceptance rate). yes you right, only research experience would be my final year research project.

Of LORs, lets say 2 are average and one is good.

No special reasons of selecting UC schools other than my love for CA and its being a technical paradise which I guess has greater scope for opportunities.

have a fighting chance at the others.

oh, it makes me feel terrible!

So in your opinion what ranking range should I focus on in general ( if PhD) ?

Thanks!

Edited by mcool

oh, it makes me feel terrible!

Sorry! I was just in a hurry when I typed up my post. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings :( I'm sure you're a very talented guy, but the truth is that to stand a chance in top 20 admissions, you have to have a decent amount of research experience. If you go in with just a senior research project, unless it is phenomenal (or there is some other reason to single you out, like well known recommenders), you'll probably get passed over in favor of other candidates who have more research experience. I'd apply to a few that are super good fits anyway, though--I don't know the nuances of your situation.

I'd look primarily in the 20s and 30s. You seem to have a strong background, just not enough research experience for the top 20 schools.

hey no worries! that's ok :)

As far as what I heard If you are a fresh graduate and applying for graduate studies they won't look at your research experiences really. May be I'm wrong though. But because you don't have research experience does not imply that you don't have the research potential.

Anyway I am happy if I get into something in 20 to 30. that's pretty cool.

Thanks!

As far as what I heard If you are a fresh graduate and applying for graduate studies they won't look at your research experiences really. May be I'm wrong though. But because you don't have research experience does not imply that you don't have the research potential.

You're very wrong (for the US PhD anyway). If you are a fresh graduate with no research experience, your only hope for getting into a top school is to get some research experience (by volunteering yourself to research labs or doing a masters--doing it independently won't work too well unless you get very good results, because you need LoRs). Your LoRs need to be able to talk concretely about your research potential, and if you haven't done too much research, it's pretty hard to do this convincingly. Just trust me on this, I've spoken to prospective students at a variety of top 10 and 20 schools my year of admission, spoken to almost all of the prospectives for this year at my own institution, and additionally any advice you'll read from US professors online will emphasize research experience and LoRs above all.

A masters is much different though -- so if you want a research masters, you don't necessarily need research experience. This is a good stepping stone to a better program if you do good work. But it is expensive...

ok..gonna admit im wrong.

A research MS would be ok. But the funding?? I heard that UoU and UIUC fund their MS students rght? what are my chances of getting into one of them for a MS?

Thanks!