PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. But I don't think I have TA duty the first year. Considering how much it costs to live in San Diego, it doesn't seem like much. My offer from Duke is $19,500 for 5 years in an area where rent is $700 a month for a three bed/two bath apartment.

Yeah, given the cost of living in the Research Triangle, the Duke offer is pretty fine.

I'm waiting on Northwestern too. Any idea if this is good news or bad news (for those of us who's application status hasn't changed in their system)?

I'm in the same boat and also unsure of what to think. Part of me thinks the safest approach at this point is pessimism, but then NW is also the most perfect fit for me among the schools to which I applied. So maybe hopeful pessimism is the order of the day?

I'm in the same boat and also unsure of what to think. Part of me thinks the safest approach at this point is pessimism, but then NW is also the most perfect fit for me among the schools to which I applied. So maybe hopeful pessimism is the order of the day?

Yeah, Northwestern is my top choice too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

Gah! My stomach is killing me.

For those interested, I emailed NW yesterday. I got a standard response that essentially says most decisions will be posted next week. Nothing too interesting, and certainly nothing that revealed anything helpful.

I also emailed the DGS at Rochester. As most of us know acceptances went out a while ago. They took 13. No decisions have been made regarding a wait list.

Cheers,

I just posted this on the results page, but after calling University of Kentucky two days ago they seemed somewhat confused about my application because my transcripts were in my maiden name and I applied in my married name but she ultimately said I had been rejected. Because I live here in Lexington and my husband has a good job, I really did not want to move. I emailed the director and a professor I had previously met with and asked them why I had been rejected and if I could at least be considered for the MA program. The prof. emailed me back saying they had a huge applicant pool this year bc of the crappy economy and to give him a few days and see what he could do, he then called me (1 hour later) and said the grad school had screwed up my application thinking I was two different people because of the married/maiden name and that the Graduate school listed me as living in CT and Poli Sci listed me as living in KY, therefore they looked at it as two incomplete applications. Two hours later I get an email from the DGS saying I had been accepted into the PhD program...So this goes to show professors have tremendous pull, and that departments screw up. UK may not be Harvard, but if you feel you got unfairly rejected the least you can do is give a call and find out, it def paid off for me.

I just posted this on the results page, but after calling University of Kentucky two days ago they seemed somewhat confused about my application because my transcripts were in my maiden name and I applied in my married name but she ultimately said I had been rejected. Because I live here in Lexington and my husband has a good job, I really did not want to move. I emailed the director and a professor I had previously met with and asked them why I had been rejected and if I could at least be considered for the MA program. The prof. emailed me back saying they had a huge applicant pool this year bc of the crappy economy and to give him a few days and see what he could do, he then called me (1 hour later) and said the grad school had screwed up my application thinking I was two different people because of the married/maiden name and that the Graduate school listed me as living in CT and Poli Sci listed me as living in KY, therefore they looked at it as two incomplete applications. Two hours later I get an email from the DGS saying I had been accepted into the PhD program...So this goes to show professors have tremendous pull, and that departments screw up. UK may not be Harvard, but if you feel you got unfairly rejected the least you can do is give a call and find out, it def paid off for me.

WOW - way to take things into your own hands and get this looked into! Talk about a life changing decision and initial mistake.

Congratulations on the acceptance!!!

how many people with still waiting apps at NW are theorists? Unfortunately, I think we have a little grimmer outlook than the rest (who might still have a larger helping of hope) given that the people who posted acceptances from NW already told us they were theorists. Not to rain on the parade...

I'm applying in IR, not theory.

how many people with still waiting apps at NW are theorists? Unfortunately, I think we have a little grimmer outlook than the rest (who might still have a larger helping of hope) given that the people who posted acceptances from NW already told us they were theorists. Not to rain on the parade...

Fair enough. And I find it unlikely that the entire NW waitlist frequents this forum. I think there's another wave of rejections coming.

Comparative here.

Anyone wonder if NWU realized how much hate their getting right now?

yeah. come to think of it, if JHU can get all their applications in 2 weeks later, go through them all, make decisions, then send out notifications by mail on Tuesday, looks as if NWU would be able to update their website with already made rejections at least.