PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Hi guys,

I think am done now. I just got a very good offer at one of my very safe safe schools. I am still waitlisted at Princeton, WashU and maybe Northwestern. Waiting to hear on funding from Georgia and NYU (I applied for external funding for the masters eish). But I am ok with Howard. The stipend offer is really GOOOD I will probably afford 3 meals a day and a nice 1 bedroom apartment in downtown DC. Since I just finished undergrad last semester I got into their fully funded masters program enroute to PhD. I think i will just have to work 5 times harder doing research, publishing etc.

One thing I can say about Howard is that the faculty is great, really supportive. I spoke with them just yesterday and got the email this morning. They have a lot of travel grants and opportunity to study at GW, American etc while in the city where almost every important organization looking for minority (black) students comes to recruit.

I will let you know how my experience goes. I am already working on a good internship in the city that I can continue with one of the best International NGO's so I feel safe and happy.

This was a bumpy ride. If I hear anithing from the aforementioned schools I will let you know.

Thanks for the support during these hair graying months.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need some help here, again...

The director of GVPT Maryland has told me I was waitlisted for funding. "An assistantship may become available in the next few weeks, but I can make no promises. "The IES just sent me another email asking for financial certification again. (I'm an international student). They say that I would not be admitted if I cannot provide these documentations.

I am still waiting for the NYU master( probably unfunded, rejected me for PhD). And I've been offered admission with funding by SUNY Albany. So I've decided not to go to Maryland if I'm unfunded. But if Maryland can provide me assistantship eventually, I will choose to go there.

So there are several things I need some advice:

1. If I do not provide this documentation, will I directly be rejected? Or they will wait to see if there will be assistantship available for me?

2. If I do provide this documentation, will it affect my chances of getting assitantship?

3. Anyone knows about the decision deadline of NYU master program? Is it before Apr 15th?

Thanks a lot :)

I will officially be rejecting Maryland's offer today. It was an offer with decent funding (although not really, considering the cost of living in the area), but I was awarded a great package from Florida (2 year NSF IGERT fellowship, summer funding for 2 years, and departmental funding and another small fellowship for 2 years), so the choice was fairly easy. Florida was my first choice, so I'm very happy with my results. The program starts May 1 so I'm moving in the next few weeks. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and to those beginning in the fall.

Need some help here, again...

The director of GVPT Maryland has told me I was waitlisted for funding. "An assistantship may become available in the next few weeks, but I can make no promises. "The IES just sent me another email asking for financial certification again. (I'm an international student). They say that I would not be admitted if I cannot provide these documentations.

I am still waiting for the NYU master( probably unfunded, rejected me for PhD). And I've been offered admission with funding by SUNY Albany. So I've decided not to go to Maryland if I'm unfunded. But if Maryland can provide me assistantship eventually, I will choose to go there.

So there are several things I need some advice:

1. If I do not provide this documentation, will I directly be rejected? Or they will wait to see if there will be assistantship available for me?

2. If I do provide this documentation, will it affect my chances of getting assitantship?

3. Anyone knows about the decision deadline of NYU master program? Is it before Apr 15th?

Thanks a lot :)

I am an international too and had to explain to the people at Georgia that I was still waiting on Assistantship offer. They are usually helpful because they want intl. students to come.

Not sure. I wasn't offered a fellowship and was told it was unlikely, but was also told by my prospective advisor that most students s/he works with who come in unfunded end up getting funding during the course of their careers. This is just an observation, s/he says, not a promise.

Also, if Georgetown doesn't cough up funding after a year or two, you can apply to transfer elsewhere.

I am an international too and had to explain to the people at Georgia that I was still waiting on Assistantship offer. They are usually helpful because they want intl. students to come.

Thanks. I have decided not to provide the financial documentation. If there is no offer before Apr 15th, I will give up on this one. :)

Just received an mail letter from Maryland GVPT. Same content as what they said in the email. Admitted without funding at this time, clearance needed for IES. Just hoping that funding will be finally available in the next few weeks :)

Just got an acceptance letter from UVA :) I must have come off of the waitlist. Has ANYONE heard anything about funding?

I'm sorry to tell you, but they've already made funding decisions at UVA. I was admitted in the first round at UVA, but received NO funding.