PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

I also struck out for all the programs I applied for. 9 PhD programs and 2 Masters. I even was rejected from Michigan Ford School for their MPP program. At this point, I'm grateful I got into LSE for their program in the Political Economy of Late development. I'm probably not going to be funded but at least its something.

It's extremely frustrating to know you spent all the time and money to get out of it so little - but honestly, none of us would have grown as a result of this experience. This year has confirmed to me that one needs to work smarter, not harder, when it comes to this sorta thing.

I'm in the same boat with you FenderPete. My thesis could have been better and my bank account would have been larger had I not applied but that's the nature of the beast. There are not too many avenues in life where you get paid to study what you love and so the competition is stiff for graduate school.

All of us will end up where we belong and enjoy what we do. We might just have to take a path we never envisioned.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E-mail response from Chicago today saying "Thank you for your e-mail. The Admissions Office has a letter in the mail to you today." Probably the vaguest rejection I've seen thus far.

"Dear Applicant.

Trout.

We hope this addresses your concerns."

Emailed GW to ask about status, here is their reply:

"I realize you may be feeling a bit anxious, but the Admissions Committee is still finalizing their decisions.

The committee anticipates that you will know, by mail, the decision within the next two weeks."

I guess my chances are very low...

I wonder why it is that I'm literally the only one that has been rejected from Northwestern already. They're acting like they haven't made any rejections from what everyone on here is saying.

Has anyone else yet been rejected from NW this cycle?

I just read my rejection decision on the website.

So, I noticed someone posted about the MPP/Gov PhD program at Georgetown and it got me thinking. Has anyone who applied to a dual program at Georgetown heard? I know there's one other person on this board beside me and the poster who has applied for a dual. I'm wondering if that aspect has something to with why we haven't heard anything (no rejection/acceptance/wait)?

It may be early, (we still have over a month) but I feel that I have already made my decision. I already speak to my friends and family like I am going to be at that school (NW) for certain. So I thought: Why wait? I know it is very stupid, but I feel like if I don't wait until at least early April, it means I haven't given this enough time. But technically, I am at a point where my heart is completely set on NW. I think part of it is due to the fact that going to NW means I will have to turn down a "higher-ranked" school. Whatever that means. Do any of you feel like you already know where you are going? Are you hesitant to put it on paper yet, even though you know you gave this plenty of thought already?

I definitely feel that I have emotionally committed to one school (UIUC) even though another looks better on paper. However, I'm not making ANY official decisions until early April. I've already turned down the schools I'm sure that I'm not going to go to though.

I think part of it is due to the fact that going to NW means I will have to turn down a "higher-ranked" school.

NW is well-respected enough that I doubt you'll be living in a cardboard box if you graduate from there. Attending a top-5 rather than top-20 program seems more important for theorists than for the other subfields . . . and even if you *are* a theorist, there could still be a compelling reason to go there. If you're absolutely committed to feminism and critical theory, it wouldn't make much sense to turn down NW for, say, Harvard, where you might be taking theory classes from Mansfield.

If you turn down some schools now, you'll get karma points for making the waitlisters happy . . . though, as a waitlisted person, I'm obviously self-interested in giving such advice.

NW is well-respected enough that I doubt you'll be living in a cardboard box if you graduate from there. Attending a top-5 rather than top-20 program seems more important for theorists than for the other subfields . . . and even if you *are* a theorist, there could still be a compelling reason to go there. If you're absolutely committed to feminism and critical theory, it wouldn't make much sense to turn down NW for, say, Harvard, where you might be taking theory classes from Mansfield.

If you turn down some schools now, you'll get karma points for making the waitlisters happy . . . though, as a waitlisted person, I'm obviously self-interested in giving such advice.

You got me Seraphita! I am totally after the karma points. And please don't think I am kidding, I am serious. If my mind is made up, it makes things much easier for the schools and waitlisted applicants if I make my decision official ASAP. I already turned down two schools that I know for sure that I will not attend. I think karma (or common courtesy) should be a very important concern for all of us who are making decisions right now.

I am not in political theory, but I am a very theory-oriented (especially critical theory) IR person with a very strong interest in French politics. I think it doesn't get any better than NW for me. (And I do know that I have just made myself more recognizable than ever to faculty lurkers -- if there are any. I just don't care.)

Oh and btw I didn't get in Harvard:) I didn't apply in the first place, thinking it was a) way out of my reach B) not a good match.

Got mine, too! I really wanted to have purple doctoral robes, too! Oh well...at this point it's just nice to know definitively. I was actually anticipating them taking until April 15 to communicate rejections.

Got my rejection from Northwestern, finally. I'm anticipating a rejection from Chicago any day now, and then I'll be set to make my decision. Maybe I'll even do it before spring break.

Did you get your decision from the online application system or email? I am still waiting, both northwestern and Maryland...

Did you get your decision from the online application system or email? I am still waiting, both northwestern and Maryland...

I got it from the online system.

About Brown: I e-mailed Brown about the status of my application. This is the response I got:

"I can tell you that Brown is not done with applications. It varies by department. The Graduate School has changed their notification process and you will be notified via e-mail soon. Thank you for your patience."

well i found out today for sure that i did not get accepted.... so they are finished with me... lol :D

BigCheese, you are great and I hope you will try again next year. Things can really change, this was a horrible year for applications. Last year I didn't get any funded offers, and this year things have gone so much better than I expected. So miracles happen :) Best of luck!